Default Small Claims Against Old Roommate

My question involves a roommate in the State of: Kansas

I lived in an apt with 2 other guys, but they were too lazy to ever sign the lease with the landlord, so I was the only one (since I was the only one in town at time). I already posted about this issue about one not paying rent on our verbal agreement. The lease was for 12 months, and even though he never signed, he agreed that it would be the full 12 months, even paid me his share of the deposit (which I used to pay the landlord). He refuses to pay and even bargained with him so I'm taking him to small claims. Question is: Can I keep the deposit+sue him for the full "x" months that he didn't pay+share of carpet cleaning that we had to pay? He stayed thru 7/6/2010, and our "lease" was thru 7/31/2010. You guys told me he was on a month-month agreement, so am I allowed to charge him only thru the 6th, or since it was verbally agreed for the whole time period, I can charge him all of July+keep deposit for breaking that agreement+charges I incurred on his behalf when I moved out? Sorry if confusing.

Default Re: Small Claims Against Old Roommate

Anyone? Is it too confusing? If you want it reworded, if you are unsure of an amt to charge in court, is it better to just go for the amount you want, and then let the judge dictate what should be subtracted?

Default Re: Small Claims Against Old Roommate

Bump? Anyone out there?

1. Sponsored Links