Default Bankruptcy Bankruptcy and Affidavit of Support

My question involves bankruptcy in the state of: New Jersey

Long story short, I have a house in NJ that I bought with a partner, that I cannot afford. The house has gone in for foreclosure and both the bank and it's lawyers are un-cooperative for a Deed in Lieu. The question is what is my best option?

My lawyer suggested bankruptcy. But which one would be better since I do not want to keep the house but my car?

Will the bankruptcy have any effect in sponsoring affidavit of Support for my to-be wife? What is the minimum income required for affidavit of Support?

Lets say I file for bankruptcy, are there any other improve my credit score over the years so that the bankruptcy damage is minimized?

Default Re: Bankruptcy Bankruptcy and Affidavit of Support

Yes, you will be able to build your credit back up. The mortgage company does not have to give you a deed in lieu, if they refuse, bankruptcy might be a good option. I am not familiar with "Affidavits of Support", perhaps my state does not do these, seek the advice of an attorney.

But how could I get to keep my car and what really happens to my loan? Do I need to pay it back?

Quote Quoting BkAttyMI
    View Post
    Yes, you will be able to build your credit back up. The mortgage company does not have to give you a deed in lieu, if they refuse, bankruptcy might be a good option. I am not familiar with "Affidavits of Support", perhaps my state does not do these, seek the advice of an attorney.

The Affidavit of Support is an immigration matter; OP is evidently trying to sponsor his wife-to-be. More info here.

Agree that OP needs to speak with an attorney.

1. Sponsored Links