Default Business Partner Stole Equipment and Defaced My Property

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York

I was involved in a tent rental business with my sister's boyfriend (R). The business was registered under my sister's name. Myself and R were acting partners, although we were both listed as employees. R and I recently had a falling out. He took the tent trailer and removed the massive decals from the side, and took a substantial amount of my equipment. I called the police numerous times but they refused to file a police report, stating that it was a civil matter. The equipment in question was leased through my leasing company, and I can prove that I paid off the leasing company.

In addition to the stolen equipment, my sister and her boyfriend are refusing to show me the books for the tent company. They are also withholding money which was brought in by the business.

They also hired employees that were on disabilty, and my sister's boyfriend owes alot of money to child support.Does this help my case?

I am absolutley furious and I plan on taking this to court to claim what is rightfully mine. Basically, what I need to know is, do I have a chance in court? My sister is claiming that since the business is in her name, its her perrogative to do with the profits anything she wishes. On the business certificate, my home adresss, NOT my sister's is listed as the business adress. Does this help me
    ?
    Thanks in advance.

Default Re: Business Partner Stole Equipment and Defaced My Property

You appear to be stating that sister was the sole legal owner of the business, you were an employee but believed you had an ownership interest for reasons you have not shared with us, and your sister disagrees. I have no information about what your leasing company is, or what the significance would be of your having "paid off" your leasing company. Care to elaborate?

I have no idea why you think it is relevant that the business employed disabled workers, or that your sister's boyfriend owes child support.

I suggest that you discuss the details of your case with a lawyer in your state, as you've effectively given us nothing to work with.

Default Re: Business Partner Stole Equipment and Defaced My Property

My sister is claiming that since the business is in her name, its her perrogative to do with the profits anything she wishes

she's pretty much correct. She has no duty to allow her employees to review her financial records.

The equipment in question was leased through my leasing company, and I can prove that I paid off the leasing company.
    if your leasing company leased the tents to the sisters business, then whatever contract in place will control what you or sis can do. If your leasing company loaned the tents to sis's business, then it is time to repossess them. As you have seen, the police are not all excited about getting into the middle of a business disagreement so unless you can show some actual criminal behavior, this is going to have to be dealt with in a civil court.

1. Sponsored Links