Default Failure to Inform Voters of Election

My question involves civil rights in the State of: Texas

Hello. A group as my school recently held an election. Voting took place over the course of 1 week. The entire group was not informed that the election was even taking place. Also, the group sponsor failed to inform students when the elections would be closing. As a result, many students did not get the chance to vote.

I was looking for any laws that this violates in any way. I'm certainly not looking to take any legal action against my school- I'd just like to petition for a repeat vote. I realize that state laws may not apply in this situation, but merely pointing to a law that would work in an official election would be very helpful. Is there anything that makes the lack of information given and failure to announce the ending unacceptable? Anything at all I can use in defense of my classmates would be great. We feel cheated and unrepresented.

Thanks in advance!

-Concerned Student

Default Re: Voting- Awareness, Closing Laws

Unless you can show that the way the election was conducted was designed to exclude a certain protected class, you're not likely to find any civil rights ( and certainly ELECTION law does not cover school clubs) issue to protest. If you think the school sponsored activity isn't being operated fairly your recourse is with the school administration.

Quote Quoting flyingron
    View Post
    Unless you can show that the way the election was conducted was designed to exclude a certain protected class, you're not likely to find any civil rights ( and certainly ELECTION law does not cover school clubs) issue to protest. If you think the school sponsored activity isn't being operated fairly your recourse is with the school administration.

Well, there was just a severe lack of communication. Some students were not even at school when the announcements were made, because they chose to take an off-campus course that period. Can I maybe they were being discriminated against?

And again, yes, I understand that election laws wouldn't cover a school club- just looking for some law to reference in my defense.

Thanks.

this happens in real elections too , some special elections folks dont even know about them until they are over. So, the election has taught you something after all.

1. Sponsored Links