Question I Am 20 Years Old and Want My Bio Dad on My Birth Certificate

My question involves paternity law for the State of: North Carolina
    I am 20 years old, born to a teenage mother. At the time of my birth my mom had already met and was engaged to a man. My bio father knew she was happy and wanted the best for me and he was going away in service (when he turned 18 and his parents didnt want him to have anything to do with me or my mom. He allowed my mom's soon to be husband to put his name on the birth certificate by not fighting the issue. My mom was married to the man soon after my birth, I have always carried my moms maiden name and have always knew about my bio dad. He always called and checked on me, asked if i needed anything etc.
    When I was 6 my mom divorced the man because of abuse. My mom didnt want to accept child support from him on me bc i wasnt his but he insisted along with my two brothers that are his. (he didnt want to release his parental rights to my mom cause he knew it was just another way to control my mom.
    Now that I am 20, I have a good relationship with my bio dad and want him on my birth certificate where he belongs. I know my parents did at the time what they thought was best for me. and even though we didnt see each much my bio dad never forgot me or my mom, he never made trouble and was great concidering they started out teenage parents.
    My question is>>>> how do I go about taking one man off and adding my bio dad to my birth certificate? My mom, my bio dad and I are in agreeance to this, it is what I want what I asked for, but I know my adopted dad will try to fight me.... can he fight it? do I even have to tell him?

Default Re: I Am 20 Years Old and Want My Bio Dad on My Birth Certificate

Quote Quoting nc/angel
    View Post
    My question involves paternity law for the State of: North Carolina
    I am 20 years old, born to a teenage mother. At the time of my birth my mom had already met and was engaged to a man. My bio father knew she was happy and wanted the best for me and he was going away in service (when he turned 18 and his parents didnt want him to have anything to do with me or my mom. He allowed my mom's soon to be husband to put his name on the birth certificate by not fighting the issue. My mom was married to the man soon after my birth, I have always carried my moms maiden name and have always knew about my bio dad. He always called and checked on me, asked if i needed anything etc.
    When I was 6 my mom divorced the man because of abuse. My mom didnt want to accept child support from him on me bc i wasnt his but he insisted along with my two brothers that are his. (he didnt want to release his parental rights to my mom cause he knew it was just another way to control my mom.
    Now that I am 20, I have a good relationship with my bio dad and want him on my birth certificate where he belongs. I know my parents did at the time what they thought was best for me. and even though we didnt see each much my bio dad never forgot me or my mom, he never made trouble and was great concidering they started out teenage parents.
    My question is>>>> how do I go about taking one man off and adding my bio dad to my birth certificate? My mom, my bio dad and I are in agreeance to this, it is what I want what I asked for, but I know my adopted dad will try to fight me.... can he fight it? do I even have to tell him?

Your bio dad will need to do an adult adoption. Since you are an adult, your legal, adoptive father cannot contest.

1. Sponsored Links