Default Is There a "Grace Period" a Holding Deposit is Refundable in California

My question involves a Holding deposit in the State of: California

I called an apartment complex, and was told a unit was available Oct 8th. Around 3 pm, Saturday (9/4), I went down and gave a $600 check as a "Holding Premium" the form I signed did not state that it was non-refundable before I was approved. I did state that it was non-refundable AFTER credit/rental history/employment check had been done and I was approved. I called back on Sunday (9/5) and left a message to cancel, as a friend offered to rent a room. I called back on Monday morning (9/6) (Labor Day holiday) and spoke to a rental agent and they said I couldn't get my check back and I would not be allowed to rent there ever again.

Most rental agencys state there is a 72 hour time period to cancel and receive a refund. Cant you tell me if there is a "grace" period in California? (Contra Costa County)

Default Re: Is There a "Grace Period" a Holding Deposit is Refundable in California

Your contract is your contract. If you believe you can prove that they did not perform the checks and approve you before your cancellation, small claims court awaits.

1. Sponsored Links