Question Living With Family Friends - Do They Have to Evict Us

My situation falls under Kentucky law. I am 25 and have a 2-year-old daughter. We are both living in a friend of the family’s house that we have known for years. Prior to this, I did indeed have my own place with the Mother of my child, but unfortunately, things did not work out as planned. So we separated, which inevitable lead me where I am now until I could get on my feet. After several months of living here, things have become sour. I have offered rent money more than once, but they keep refusing it. However, I always have bought my daughters food and mine. I also get my mail at this address. Therefore, the question is, do they have the right to just throw my Daughter and I out to the street, sense this is there house. Am I legally a tenant, or something of that nature, even to know I have not paid any rent nor is there a written lease. Would they have to give us any kind of Notice 30 days etc? Obviously if they do not wish for us to be here I have no problem in departing, I just wanted to make sure there was adequate time so I can be prepared and not just get thrown to the street. Any response is appreciated thank you.

Default Re: Do They Have to Evict Us

You're not a tenant but, with the circumstances involved, that doesn't mean that the police will simply throw you out without telling your friend to go through the eviction process. Your best bet is to get your act together, find a place to go, and move as soon as you can. Contact the county to see if they can offer emergency housing assistance - note that the funding, if available, tends to renew at the start of the month and go quickly.

Question Re: Do They Have to Evict Us

Surprisingly for me, I called our local police station and told them the situation. They indeed said regardless of written lease or not, or if there has been rent paid or not paid. If I have indeed been, there more then 2 months and can show something like Mail etc that they would have to evict us. Although I am still a little skeptical, which is what made me post the question in the first place. I will try to move as soon as I can. However, any more insight on this subject preferably from someone who actually lives in (Kentucky) and knows its state law is much appreciated. Thank you Mr. for your response.

1. Sponsored Links