Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Anti-Depressants Caused Me to Attempt Suicide

My question involves an injury that occurred in the state of: NJ

A few years back when I was about 23 or 24, I had an anxiety attack that caused me to hyperventilate to the point where an ambulance needed to be called. It was the first time that ever happened, and I'd never seen a doctor for anxiety before that.

After that incident, I went to a doctor for young adults. She prescribed anti-depressants to me, which after time made me just hate life. I could not control these feelings. She tried lots of things with me. Lexapro was what I was on when I attempted suicide for the first time. I was thinking about it all day, and I made myself drink alot so that I may be able to try (sorry for these details). I did try (by taking lots of muy pills), and went to the hospital, and they said I'd be ok and sent me home.

The second time, I was also drinking alot, and had the same thing happen, but they admitted me to the psych ward for about a week. Tried all kinds of drugs with me, then sent me home.

The third time, I had not drank a thing. Just thought about it all day, and finally did it at night. I took every bottle of pills I had, and had my stomache pumped at the hospital. They kept me for another week or so.

After that, and an argument with my doctor, I had decided to stop all meds because I didn't feel this way before I saw the doc. After a while, I started feeling MUCH better, and those thoughts went away. Like a year or so later, I learned that those medicines can cause suicidal tendies (especially with young adults), and I never knew that. Since I stopped taking the meds, I have not been depressed in the sense of wanting to end my life, and cannot believe that I was even thinking about it.

I think there was some class action to one of these companies for this reason, not sure, but does anyone think that I would have a case that the medicine caused those horrible thoughts and actions?

Thank you for your help.

Default Re: Anti-Depressants Caused Me to Attempt Suicide Three Times

You can certianly attempt to get a free consultation with an attorney who specializes in such cases, but when you tell them that you CHOSE to DRINK (which is about the absolute LAST thing that a depressed person should be doing, meds or not, but ESPECIALLY ON meds) before two of your three attempts, you're likely to get a handshake and a "thanks for coming by". By your own admission, you made decisions that CONTRIBUTED to the mental state and are KNOWN to interfere with effects of anti-depressent meds. At the third attempt, you took yourself OFF the meds, without medical support (another HUGE no no in the world of anti-depressent meds). In other words, you want to sue the parachute maker for the parachute not working after you ripped holes in it by contradicting the medical application of the meds (drinking twice, and going cold turkey without doctor's intervention). Had these actions not been factors, you MIGHT have had a case that an attorney would want to look at - but given what you've related here, I don't see a snowball's chance. See what a few attorneys think. If they all give you the handshake, you'll know that they too believe that the meds were taken outside of their prescribed use matrix (which includes NOT drinking and NOT just deciding to go off of them willy nilly) and that any case against the manufacturer or prescriber would be a non-productive goose chase.

You already posted this thread.

The answers will not change this time.

The third attempt was not cold turkey. I was still on the meds then, I was not drinking at that time. So my belief is that alcohol may have contributed to the first two, but not the third and worst when my stomach was pumped. after that incident, I decided to take myself off of the meds, and that is when those thoughts subsided.

After that, and an argument with my doctor, I had decided to stop all meds because I didn't feel this way before I saw the doc.
    The third attempt was not cold turkey.
    Regardless, you stopped your meds without the intervention or supervision of a Physician, and you chose to drink alcohol while taking the meds.

Quote Quoting lealea1005
    View Post
    Regardless, you stopped your meds without the intervention or supervision of a Physician, and you chose to drink alcohol while taking the meds.
    My point is, I stopped taking the meds and stopped seeing the doctor, AFTER all attempts.

LexaPro....that made me randomly puke. I did go off that after a few months, after "cause and elimination".

That said.....OD's, and suicide attempts....honey, YOU know how you feel, and know your doctors phone number.

As for drinking while you were on certain meds....well, most pharmacies make a nice little print out that is stapled to your meds- it warns of potential side effects, and most put a label right on the bottle "Do not drink alcohol while using this med" or "The use of alcoholic beverages may cause.....". It is YOUR responsiblity to read it before you take the med. Most pharmacies also offer you the opportunity to be counseled on the med before you take it.

One last question....

Why, when you are spending the day contemplating taking your own life, did you not THEN reach out to the doctor or institutions that had treated you in the past?

I suggest you talk to your doctor about recommending medical marijuana and take it in the THC pill form. This medicine has been tested for over 4000 years and not a single person has ever died from it DIRECTLY. Yes, you could get cancer from smoking anything due to carbon monoxide, so I suggest eating it.

You don't need all those shit pills and you should stop drinking now. Alcohol is a huge killer.

Quote Quoting cyjeff
    View Post
    One last question....

Why, when you are spending the day contemplating taking your own life, did you not THEN reach out to the doctor or institutions that had treated you in the past?
    Having been involved with people that have been suicidal, including a couple that were successful;

when you are in that state of mind, seeking pro help really isn't a major thought in one's mind. The suicide itself consumes ones thoughts and looking for help is not generally considered. The person needs to be aware of what the medications can cause before taking them. It's on commercials every day on television; Warning, this medication may cause a greater risk of suicidal thoughts etc.

Having that knowledge before taking the meds is extremely important. Hopefully, having that information prior to the actual problem will plant a seed that germinates once the suicidal tendencies arise and the patient will seek help. Support personnel are also extremely important for anybody that has depression. They are often the life raft for the patient.

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast