Question Ex Wants Macbook Back After Loan Runs Out

My question involves personal property located in the State of: My question involves personal property located in the State of: Washington

I need help here. My Ex purchased an apple laptop, custom made for me to help her re-design her business, through apple financial loan 3 years ago. She and I have been separated for over 2 years. Recently, Apple contacted her to tell her that the loan had expired and that she either has to return the equipment to Apple or pay a buyout cost. She then emailed me after over a year of no contact saying I needed to return the laptop or pay the $900 buyout cost.

She, when I talked to her by phone, told me that she didn't know that she would have to pay for the equipment after the 3 years ran out so I could either pay the $900 or return my laptop to Apple personally. First, this was a gift that she told me had been paid for and unquestionably belonged to me. Second, the machine has been in my possession for 3 years and never asked to be returned, even after the relationship ended.

Now, because she is not willing to pay to buy out the remainder of the loan she has told me that I have to relinquish the laptop or she will file a police report as the computer being stolen property.
    She says that it is the property of Apple Financial and not her. But what would she have do if I had sold the laptop and didn't have it anymore? Or it broke and I had to get rid of it? What kind of position would that put me in at this point?

We haven't had contact for over a year, and before that she told me to never contact her again. So why didn't she ask for the equipment back then or when the relationship ended?

How can she give me something that she either doesn't own or would have to pay for later?

I don't have the $900 nor can I afford to relinquish the laptop at this time. What do I do?

Default Re: Ex Wants Macbook Back After Loan Runs Out

I don't have the $900 nor can I afford to relinquish the laptop at this time. What do I do?
    you pick one of those 2.

she cannot give you something she doesn't own.

She signed the agreement for the machine and the agreement to pay for it when the loan expired. She knew this when she obtained the equipment and while it was in my possession. She also told me it was paid off. What then?

it still isn't hers to give away. If you want it, if she will not pay the balance, you will have to.

1. Sponsored Links