Default Is it Against the Law to Cancel Post-Dated Checks

I wrote a guy 5 post-dated with 400 hundreds each. Weeks after, this guy came to my house without my permission, stole my passport and destoried the documents inside of it, stole my credit card number and driver's license number, and filmed me without my permission and sent it to the 3rd part.

I canceled the checks because we had issue with the amount of money and out of what he did to damage my properties, I did not think he deserve the money.

A week after that, he told me I could kept the money and it was sent by text message( I still have it)

Months after, I received a lawyer's letter saying I broke the law by cancelling out the checks.

Any idea about this situation?

Thanks

Default Re: Is it Against the Law to Cancel Post-Dated Checks

Laws vary by state. Typically it is not a crime to cancel a post-dated check, but you would have to follow the instruction to identify your state for anybody to be able to tell you the laws of your state.

Presumably you called the police when this person broke into your house and stole / destroyed documents. What was the result of their investigation?

The guy returned my passort to the police station and I did not lay charges on him.

It was abit of a long story. This guy (my EX) came to my house with invitation trying to talk to me that night when I was voice talking to my friend through Yahoo in the living room. The EX shut down my pc suddenly and insisted to go to my bedroom to talk in private. Just in case the EX would do something violent to me, my friend called the police immediately. At the same time, my friend also called my roommate to check if anything happened. So my roommate asked me to go to her roommate. HUGE MISTAKE that I let my EX stayed in my room alone that he got the chance to steal my passport and stole credite card number and drive license number. 1 mintue late, Police came and asked some questions but at that time I did not realize my passport's gone and stuff. Until later of that night, something fishy was going on becaue my credit card was on the desk beside which were a pen and a paper. Soon I realized things were not right...and checked my passport...I went to the police station next morning and report it. And they let this guy return my passport or they would send a crew to search his house. He did return it but some pages with visa were ripped off. I had all those things documented at the police station. HUGE MISTAKE again,when they asked me if I wanted to press any charges on him, I said NO because he wanted to be a lawyer ( was it sarcastic???!!!!) and any criminal records would forbideen him being any law related jobs.

BTW, Thank you so much Mr. Knowitall for answering my questions. :-)

If you are missing pages from your passport, you should take action immediately to get it reissued. If it is a US Passport, contact the nearest Passport Office. If it is issued by a foreign country, I would guess that you need to contact your Embassy.

1. Sponsored Links