Default Towing Impound Fees

I think I may have addressed this before, but can't seem to find the thread. My apologies if you answered this in the past.

I'm aware of the fact that California can impound a vehicle if there are more than 5 outstanding parking tickets. To get that vehicle released, you must pay "all parking penalties due for the vehicle and all other vehicles registered to the registered owner of the impounded vehicle."

What does 'all other vehicles registered' mean in CVC22651? Is it in the current sense or the all encompassing sense? Would you have to pay off the outstanding parking tickets on a vehicle you owned in say -1972 - before they released the impounded vehicle? What if that vehicle (the one no longer owned since 1972) was also impounded for having too many tickets and subsequently sold at auction? The monies recovered by auctioning the vehicles are supposed to pay for those tickets.

This may or may not be relevant, but I thought if a vehicle hadn't been registered in over 2 years then they couldn't try to collect on it's delinquent parking citations?

Thanks for your time!

Default Re: Towing Impound Fees

If you transferred ownership of a vehicle to somebody else, or it was transferred by virtue of a lien sale, it's not registered to you. If you still own the vehicle but have failed to obey the state's laws regarding registration, I make no promises.

Quote Quoting Halfajap
    View Post
    I think I may have addressed this before, but can't seem to find the thread.
    Do you mean this thread: Parking Penalties Under CVC 22651(I)(1)(C)?

Quote Quoting That Guy
    View Post
    Yes! That is the thread! Thank you! But re-reading it, I noticed that nobody had anymore to offer then. Has that changed at all? Situation - All this has come to pass, so not sure what remedies are available.. hoping to get input...

Vehicle towed impounded for parking tickets (questionable as to validity since DMV records differ from Parking agency- but whatever. Vehicle could not be released until all tickets, etc on that vehicle AND a vehicle from 8 yrs previous to that vehicle were paid in full. Previous vehicle was also impounded and presumably sold at subsequent lien sale. Never received any other notices in regards to previous vehicle after it's impound until current vehicle was impounded. Does something stink with that or is it just me?

Hmm. Can't remember the last parking ticket I got, must be that county living!

Born and raised in NYC and don't miss it a bit!

Have you read through 22850 on up? Did they follow the VC procedurally? (did you have your correct address on file, etc, to allow them to notify you?)

Not much help, curious as to the outcome. Whats that line about grinding slowly but exceedingly fine?

A

If in fact, it is only vehicles currently registered that need to be paid off before a vehicle is released, then what recourse do I have? The combined fees of the impounded vehicle and the vehicle from 8 years ago made it so I could not afford to pay the amount required. I would have been able to pay if it was for the one vehicle only. As such, once again, the impounded vehicle was sold at an auction and I am now without a vehicle which has of course caused a snowball of bad luck. Any advise on how to pursue this?

1. Sponsored Links