Default Speeding Ticket on Route 17, Tuxedo, New York

My question involves a speeding ticket from the State of: New York

Hi all,

I have just received a speeding ticket for 50MPH in 35MPH zone near School House RD on Route 17 in Tuxedo, NY. This is my first speed ticket ever in my life time with over 8 or 9 years of clean driving record. I remember the road has signs of 45MPH and 55MPH speed limit and I didn't notice there is 35MPH zone. I was driving around 40-45MPH in average but there are uphills and downhills where I might exceeded the speed limit. The officer who pulled me over said he clocked me by radar at 58 but he was very nice enough gave me a ticket for 50MPH in 35MPH zone. Btw, the code I believe is 1180D.

My questions:
    1. Should I plead of guilty or not guilty? Is there anything I can do? Seriously, I don't mind with the fine but I really hate to see any points going to my record. Please kindly advise any possible actions I can take.

2. If I plead of not guilty, should I request for a supporting deposition? The ticket stated that "Speeding (Gen 101)" were issue, but I have no clue what this is.

Much appreciated for all your advices and suggestions.

Thanks.

Default Re: Speeding Ticket on Route 17, Tuxedo, New York

Post your ticket, maybe that will shed some light on the gen101 note. Also, check and see if there actually is a 35MPH sign or is the 45 MPH or 55 MPH sign the last sign on the roadway. Bring a video camera and video the road when you do this examination to save your self time; and do it quick ... you dont want alot of time passage.

I always go back right after (10 min. after) I get a ticket to insure that the signs are a) there and b) posted properly. Check the signs ... if on a local road, the bottom of the sign needs to be 5 ft off the pavement level & 7 ft off if a highway (so bring a tape measure). A sign not posted properly is a sign that looses its enforcing effect. If you have a second person there its helpful for any pictures you want to take.

Default Re: Speeding Ticket on Route 17, Tuxedo, New York

You can plead guilty (and consider a defensive driving course to reduce your points), or you can fight the ticket in order to try to work out a plea bargain or in the hope of prevailing at a hearing.

The indication of "Speeding (Gen 101)" relates to the portion of your ticket pertaining to supporting affidavits, and suggests that you received a supporting affidavit at the time of the stop. I am not sure what form the affidavit comes in, not being from New York.

1. Sponsored Links