Default Tuition Debt in Collections

I have two questions:
    I owe partial tuition for one semester to columbia university since 2006. about 3 months ago my case was sent for collection to a law firm.
    The person who handles collection cases is a paralegal. she told me that even if I declared bankruptcy, that particular debt would not go away, because it was considered a student loan. I was wondering if there was different laws for different states as far as student loan/tuition correlation go.
    and the second question is regarding the actual debt. The sum in the initial letter was much higher than what I thought it should be. I sent her a letter asking for a breakdown of the bill, and she sent me the transcript from Columbia's electronic system with the balance that coincided with my calculation, and then she wrote that 9% yearly interest rate was added to the balance, however transcripts did not project any interest rate addition.
    I am not sure who added it and based on what. the most stressful part was that she also added 3500 to the sum from the initial letter, and specified it as collection fees.
    Any advice/comment/information would be greatly appreciated, as I feel more lost than I have felt in my life. And I actually lived through a war mind you

Default Re: Tuition Debt in Collections

If you are stating that you did not take out a student loan but merely have an unpaid tuition balance, an unpaid tuition balance is not a student loan.

Default Re: Tuition Debt in Collections

Quote Quoting Mr. Knowitall
    View Post
    If you are stating that you did not take out a student loan but merely have an unpaid tuition balance, an unpaid tuition balance is not a student loan.
    Thank you for your response. I did a little research myself and it seems that the law firm that currently handles my case lied to me. Do you by chance know if there could be any legal consequences for lying?
    the other question I had was related to the actual sum -- they insist that balance accrued interest, however they can not give an official statement showing that it really did. they just added a couple of grands to the balance as it is shown in school record, and called it finance charge. what do you think is the best way to proceed in this situation?
    Thank you in advance.

Regards

1. Sponsored Links