Default Landlady Admitted to a Behavioral Hospital - Who Do I Pay Lease Payments to

My question involves landlord-tenant law in the State of: Texas

I have went into a written and signed lease contract to buy a home (with very specific terms) from a friend to move in on sept 1st 2010. i have already paid a 350.00 deposit with a signed receipt from both parties. my friend gave me the key to start fixing it up a little at a time while she starts getting her stuff out of the house. weeks went by and no word from her. her stuff is still in the house and i still cant get a hold of her at any number. i called her grandmother to find out that she has gotten into drugs and is sick now in the hospital. the grandmother says to do what i need to do to finish moving in. i offered to pack up her stuff and store it until we no more and i would give her the money until my friend gets out. i am moving over 2000 miles away from Colorado to Texas in just a few days with no chance of turning back. grandma is willing to do this and now sister is saying no and being a royal bi... saying not to finish and of the repairs and do not touch any of my friends things. but since i have the contract signed and everything what options do i have???

Default Re: Landlady Gets Admitted to a Behavioral Hospital Who Do I Pay Lease Payments to

I would contact an attorney in the area you're moving to, and see about paying the rent into escrow, to be held until your friend/landlady is released from the hospital.

Whether her sister likes it or not, you do have keys and a signed and valid contract.

Default Re: Landlady Gets Admitted to a Behavioral Hospital Who Do I Pay Lease Payments to

but what would you suggest i do with her belongings??? I have no problem storing them in the garage on the property. but like i had said her sister said do not do or touch anything on or in the property. I am at a loss and extremely confused. i just want to make sure that i cant get into trouble because there was also a verbal contract / commitment i made to my friend that i would help her move her stuff out.

If you have leased the premises, you have leased the premises. Tell sis that if she doesn't want the stuff in the house when you get there, she should have it out before you arrive.

ok thanks cause i was worried because the sister is saying they do not want any work done on the house or any of her items touched. and she is also claiming that if i do she is going to contact an attorney or go to a judge to say sister was under the influence and mentally unstable when she wrote out the contract and signed it and when she accepted the 350 deposit and went to my bank the next day to cash the deposit check. but she was not impaired of any kind when she and I done everything on aug 2nd. she also went the next day and told her dad, grandmother, and sister that she was selling her house because she can not afford to make the repairs to finish the house and she was gonna need a place for her and her daughter and their stuff to go. and her grandmother said she could move in with her.... that to me says they all knew and at that time was ok with it. but now all of a sudden sister is saying no no no. all i want is for my friend to be ok and recover and for someone to take the monthly payment until she is better or let me set up an account for her... is that too much to ask?

1. Sponsored Links