Default Lien Showed Up on Private Party Used Car Purchased with Clean Title in California

I previously posted on this forum about a used car I purchased in Riverside, CA from a private party. The car needed minor repairs and I wondered if the previous owner was on the hook for them. See
    http://www.expertlaw.com/forums/show...6&goto=newpost

I purchased the car from the previous owner who signed over the pink slip to me and I registered the car at the CA DMV without any problems.

This week a notice of lien sale from the CA DMV showed up in my mailbox for a $500 tow that took place about 2 months before I purchased the car.

I have a couple of questions about my rights.

1. Does the lien holder have a cause of action against me, or only the previous owner? Or both of us? In other words, does the lien follow the vehicle.

2. Do I have a cause of action against the previous owner? Of course I asked him if the car had any liens or other encumbrances and he said no.

3. Can I pay the lien and sue the previous owner in small claims court for the amount? This assumes the lien is his and not a third party who owned the car before him- or does it matter? Can I just go after him?

Thanks for any input.

Default Re: Lien Showed Up on Private Party Used Car Purchased with Clean Title in California

I have no interest in digging through your prior thread. If you have something relevant to add here, add it here.

If there was a pefected lien on the car, it went with the car.

Presumably you would have a claim against the seller. If you pay the lien you should be able to try to recover the money from the seller, although I can't promise that he'll pay a judgment. There may be something in your other thread that affects your rights.

Default Re: Lien Showed Up on Private Party Used Car Purchased with Clean Title in California

Quote Quoting Mr. Knowitall
    View Post
    I have no interest in digging through your prior thread. If you have something relevant to add here, add it here.

If there was a pefected lien on the car, it went with the car.

Presumably you would have a claim against the seller. If you pay the lien you should be able to try to recover the money from the seller, although I can't promise that he'll pay a judgment. There may be something in your other thread that affects your rights.
    No reason to see the prior thread, just the same car, that's all.

Not sure what a perfected lien is. Can you elaborate? All I know, right now, is that there was no lien on the car when I registered it, and I was given title and new plates.

1. Sponsored Links