Default Procedure for Pleading Guilty to Criminal Charges

My question involves criminal law for the state of: Michigan

20 year-old student in Ann Arbor, got charged for MIP and disorderly conduct (first time offender for both), am going to plead guilty, considering taking the probation/education classes if offered (or ordered) - two questions.

1) I've been advised to seek a lawyer even though I'm pleading guilty, to "make the process smoother." Huh? I thought I simply showed up and plead guilty and paid the fines, complied with anything else, etc. Is it more serious because I've been charged with an MIP and DC?

2) Should I be prepared to give some sort of statement to the judge about my conduct, my thoughts, etc? Does that depend on the judge?

Thanks for any information, I tried to find answers to my questions in previous MIP threads but couldn't. If it seems like I'm taking a laissez-faire approach to the procedure based on my questions it's because, well, I live in a college town and the court does this stuff all the time. That being said MI does have quite strict MIP laws..

Default Re: Procedure Inquiry in Mip/Disorderly Conduct Case

I would attempt to get some type of diversion on the charges since it's you 1st offense. It can't hurt to ask. If you can get one thrown out I think you can get the other one expunged in the future.

1. Sponsored Links