Default Boating Accident - Responsibility for Repair Costs

I was involved in a boating accident in WA state.

Couple weeks ago I hit my friend's boat with mine. Stupid mistake but slightly cracked his hull and bent a railing, just moderate cosmetic damage. We both thought it was no more than $1,000 in damage so I planned to give him cash.

He just received an estimate for $5,100, which sounds outrageous but either way sounds like it's going to be more than we thought.

His boat is pretty old and even with the motor and trailer, it's probably not worth more than $3,000.

What am I legally required to give him if we settle this without insurance, obviously I'm not handing over 5gs to fix a hull worth $1,500.
    If we turn it over to my insurance what would they be required to give him?

Thanks

Default Re: Boating Accident- Repair Costs

Quote Quoting ctb90
    View Post
    I was involved in a boating accident in WA state.

Couple weeks ago I hit my friend's boat with mine. Stupid mistake but slightly cracked his hull and bent a railing, just moderate cosmetic damage. We both thought it was no more than $1,000 in damage so I planned to give him cash.

He just received an estimate for $5,100, which sounds outrageous but either way sounds like it's going to be more than we thought.

His boat is pretty old and even with the motor and trailer, it's probably not worth more than $3,000.

What am I legally required to give him if we settle this without insurance, obviously I'm not handing over 5gs to fix a hull worth $1,500.
    If we turn it over to my insurance what would they be required to give him?

Thanks
    They will pay him the value of the boat or the value of the repair... whichever is less.

So if I decide to pay out of pocket am I only legally required to pay the book value of the boat if that's cheaper than the repair?

Quote Quoting ctb90
    View Post
    So if I decide to pay out of pocket am I only legally required to pay the book value of the boat if that's cheaper than the repair?
    I didn't say that.

What I said was what the insurance company would pay.

First, who, exactly, assessed the value of the boat? Not presently, but in it's repaired condition. If the answer to that question is YOU, get it appraised.

Second, review the appraisal against the value of the repair. Offer the lesser of the two.

If and/or when your friend refuses, he/she can take you to court to resolve the issue.

1. Sponsored Links