Default Problems in a Used Car Purchased Out-of-State

Two weeks ago my husband purchased a car from a guy. Everything seemed to check out fine. Yesterday we took it to the mechanic for some brake service and found out the the catalytic converter had been taken off. The guy we bought it from had an indiana title, I don't know if they do vet testing, but we are from GA and we have vet testing. It won't pass the VET unless this is replaced. Also after running a carfax report have found out that it has odometer rollback, which the guy knew about (on the carfax it was reported when he registered it) and failed to notify us about it. We are wondering what we can do in this bad situation? Just chalk it up as a loss?

Default Re: Car problems?

You purchased this car within the state of Georgia? Did you purchase it "as is"?

Odometer fraud usually gives a buyer strong grounds for relief, and may even constitute a criminal act.

We purchased this car in Louisville KY outside of indiana, where I was living. We were making a move to GA and needed a cheap car for my husband to use to get back and forth too work.

As far as the odometer rollback, when I looked up carfax report it showed that when the guy we bought it from registered it in Indiana that it was reported as rollback, I'm guessing by him? It says *mileage exceeds mechanical limits*. I have an email that he says that they are original mileage. This car is a 93 with 94000 miles on it. That's why I made sure to ask him about the mileage because that seemed kinda off. His story was that he bought it from an old man that preferred his cadi to this car lol. Likely story, but that's why I asked. We have applied for a GA title in my husbands name and that's when we recieved the title with the *mileage exceeds mechanical limits*. This was not on the indiana title he gave us.

Does the seller live in Kentucky? You'll probably have to seek relief through the legal system in Kentucky, or possibly Indiana if the seller lived there at the time of sale.

1. Sponsored Links