Default Boss Shaving My Overtime Hours Down, What Can I Do

My question involves employment and labor law for the state of: OHIO

The last 3 weeks ive billed aprox 16 hours of Over-time, i got my pay stub today and noticed that i have been given only 7 hours. I have written down all the extra hours ive worked and yes we lose 30 minutes for lunch every day, i work 5 days a week and so im only losing maybe 2-3 hours of my actual week.

He has before taken my over time and turned it into straight time to make up for those missing halfhours but this is just insane. What can i do? do i have any legal options? hes doing it to all of the employees and on top of it continuously changes the attendance policy.

Default Re: Boss Shaving My Over-Time Hours Down, What Can I Do

Assuming you are a nonexempt employee, you must be paid for all hours worked; that means if you are not taking a meal period, you must be paid for that time, although if the company policy is that you take a meal period, you can be disciplined for not taking it. I was a little unclear about how the lunch period fit into your question.

You also must be paid overtime pay if you physically work over 40 hours per workweek.

Regarding the overtime pay, contact your state Dept. of Labor to inquire about filing a claim. The Ohio DOL site is unclear about whether or not the state has the mandate to take such claims, however. If they cannot, you can file an unpaid wage claim with the federal DOL or file a civil action in the Ohio courts.

Before you go the claim route, though, is there an HR Dept. you can discuss this with?

Default Re: Boss Shaving My Over-Time Hours Down, What Can I Do

Quote Quoting PattyPA
    View Post
    Before you go the claim route, though, is there an HR Dept. you can discuss this with?
    I did physically work over 40 hours and on a saturday as well. Our HR Dept. doesnt do anything ive filed a complaint before and they said "we will look into it" and that was the end of it. I tried several times to follow up but the person was always "out to lunch/out of town/off that day" for a month.

Default Re: Boss Shaving My Overtime Hours Down, What Can I Do

Then I'd go ahead and file the claim with whichever DOL will take it. Maybe that will force their hand.

1. Sponsored Links