Default Speeding and Improper Lane Usage Ticket on I5 Tacoma

My question involves a speeding ticket from the State of: Wahington

I was speeding on the far left lane of I5 SB
    There was a car in front of me, then I changed lane with my signal lights, after I passed that car, I get back on the far left lane with with my signal light.
    After passing a semi on the second left lane, I have to get of the ramp about 3/4 miles ahead, so I change lane with my signal light. I was pulled over by then.

WSP office said I was doing 77 in a 60 zone.
    He gave me a ticket:
    Speeding 17 MPH over limit
    Improper lane usage

The citation is not completely printed as he was out of paper.
    It did not show the left side of the citation, and I do not know what is on the left.
    My name and the model of the car is listed.
    It only get to let point where the state of my license, anything on the left is not printed.
    I am wondering what is missing from the unprinted section.

+ I had one speeding record which I paid the fine and did not defer it.

My questions are.
    Did my action considered as improper lane usage?
    Am I be able to defer my ticket? If yea, only the speeding or both speeding and improper lane usage.
    Is it still a valid ticket?
    If I want to defer it, which box should I fill? Contested hearing or Mitigation Hearing.

Thank you very much for your help!

Default Re: Speeding and Improper Lane Usage Ticket on I5 Tacoma

Quote Quoting felix1172003
    View Post
    Did my action considered as improper lane usage?
    I don't see anything wrong with what you did, other than passing on the right. It all depends on what RCW he cited you for. But since you don't have the full ticket, how do you know? I would plan to contest the ticket. How can you defend yourself when you have no idea what you're being charged with?
    View Post
    Am I be able to defer my ticket? If yea, only the speeding or both speeding and improper lane usage.
    You can defer ONE moving violation and ONE non-moving violation every 7 years. So either one or the other if you want to go with a deferral.
    View Post
    Is it still a valid ticket?
    Well, it definitely is something to show the judge. He'll probably side with you because you were SERIOUSLY deprived of your rights. Yes, though, it is still a valid ticket as the case WILL be filed with a court.
    View Post
    If I want to defer it, which box should I fill? Contested hearing or Mitigation Hearing.
    Always plan to contest. No matter what. You lose your rights when you mitigate.

Brendan

Thank you very much for the clarification and tips!
    They are very helpful.
    Since I have to mail the ticket, can I send a copied version of it so I can show the original one in the court?

Thank you again!

Yes, you can.

Brendan

Its interesting; how can you plead guilty/not guilty if you dont know what you are being charged with ... technically, you dont even know if it is just a traffic ticket. I would think that the limitations placed under WA court rules concerning traffic cases are not applicable until they serve you with a complaint that lists your crime you are being charged with.

I dont know if you can ask for a verified complaint or information or bill of particulars in WA but I would look into it. This could cost more than the ticket though but something to consider...you could send in the ticket w/o marking any pleading (guilty/not guilty) and wait for the state to initiate a court case & then ask for a proper complaint or a motion to dismiss.

1. Sponsored Links