Default How to Stop Delivery of Unwanted Newspaper

My question involves real estate located in the State of: Florida (unincorporated Seminole County)

A local company leaves a "newspaper" (more like a stack of solicitations) in my driveway every week.

I have never subscribed to this paper.

I have called the paper's office to request that they stop delivery.

I have mailed the paper a letter requesting that they stop delivery.

They continue to leave the newspaper in my driveway every week.

This is problematic because I do a good amount of travel, and don't want unwanted newspapers sitting in my driveway while I'm out of town (it's an invitation to burglars).

Do I have any laws on my side to force them to stop delivery?

Default Re: Stop Delivery of Unwanted Newspaper

Quote Quoting wekivasprings
    View Post
    My question involves real estate located in the State of: Florida (unincorporated Seminole County)

A local company leaves a "newspaper" (more like a stack of solicitations) in my driveway every week.

I have never subscribed to this paper.

I have called the paper's office to request that they stop delivery.

I have mailed the paper a letter requesting that they stop delivery.

They continue to leave the newspaper in my driveway every week.

This is problematic because I do a good amount of travel, and don't want unwanted newspapers sitting in my driveway while I'm out of town (it's an invitation to burglars).

Do I have any laws on my side to force them to stop delivery?
    I live in NYC and this was a problem going back many many years, and legally there's nothing that could be done without a law passed. About two years ago, a local law was passed, and citizens can have a sign up saying that they do not want junk delivered per local law such and such. Violators can be fined.

I suggest you get hold of your local councilman and have a similar law passed.

if this is literally on the drive and not some receptacle, report the littering to the local police.

Then, take pictures of the collection and dispose of them. Send the publisher a bill for trash services.

If you want to go further, if they refuse to pay, sue them.

Quote Quoting jk
    View Post
    if this is literally on the drive and not some receptacle, report the littering to the local police.

Then, take pictures of the collection and dispose of them. Send the publisher a bill for trash services.

If you want to go further, if they refuse to pay, sue them.
    We had two major problems in my area. One is the delivery of junk mail to people's homes, the other being bandit signs. Junk mail delivery consists of the weekly advertising brochures from several companies in plastic bags. But the more messy ones are menus from the local Chinese takeouts, pizzerias etc. on plain paper. In the summer time, add in roofers, general contractors, and unless you clear out the front yard and front door area frequently, it would soon look like the garbage dump. Good luck going on vacation for a week.

In my area, the people to call are the "sanitation police". They like to write tickets with an ordinance numbers on them, or they don't want to bother. As to calling the businesses, it's dozens of Chinese takeouts, pizzerias, contractors etc. No one calls them up one by one. And if you sue, it's only on deliveries to your house, and for one menu. You can't complain about everybody else's junk.

And then, I heard some of the larger advertisisers were sued, and fought back on "first amendment" grounds.

I haven't yet called in a complaint on home junk delivery guys yet. I had actually called one in on someone tacking "bandit advertsing signs" on utlity and light poles. The city passed another ordinance on this a dozen years ago.

Someone in the area of my business blanketed the area tacking up ugly signs made from "pink cardboard" saying "We buy cars", with his phone number. Hundreds of them. So I called "311" the number provided by the city to call in these types of complaints as well as about city services.

Unbeknownst to me, the person responsible owned a business on my street, came into my business ranting about someone calling in a complaint on him one morning. He had no idea I was the one who called, as it was a coincidence.

He said someone from the sheriff's office served him a summons at 6:00AM demanding a fine of over $20,000. The fine has to do with how many illegal signs were found. There is also an "order" demanding he take down all of the signs in a few days, or there would be further fines. Now, these signs are tacked on by staples, easy to tack on just above head level, but imagine having to bring a ladder, screwdriver, pliers to take a few hundred of them down, one by one.

I chuckled as he told the story, and he wanted to know what was so funny about it. If only he knew.

I don't recall all the particulars on the city ordinance on junk mail deliveries, but if the inspectors can check out how many were delivered, and demand that they go and pick them all up in the neighorhood, a fine on the number of them found, that would be fun.

Going after businesses one by one, by an individual homeowner, had been tried for junk mail, but it's been a bust for homowners till the ordinance came about.

1. Sponsored Links