Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default How To Expunge a Civil Fine in New York

My question involves expungements or pardons for the state of: New York

I jumped over a turnstile to enter the subway and was given a ticket by a cop. I paid the $100 civil fine. (This was in July, 2010)

Can this be expunged from my records? If so, when and how do I go about doing it?

I am scared about this affecting my future employment prospects!

Default Re: How To Expunge a Civil Fine in New York

nothing to worry about. just call the court where it was paid and make sure it is sealed that is all. stop worrying. check to make sure you did not plea to misdemeanor.

Quote Quoting equality
    View Post
    nothing to worry about. just call the court where it was paid and make sure it is sealed that is all. stop worrying. check to make sure you did not plea to misdemeanor.
    If you don't know what you are talking about, the best thing to do is not to speak.

He wasn't fingerprinted and it was only a civil violation,not a criminal conviction,with computers and stuff they're is always a chance of something popping up. Cpl 160.55 seals dismissals and most non criminal convictions. If he is handed a desk appearance ticket for a violation and just pay a fine it should be sealed. It less of chance of something popping up then if he was charged with a misdemeanor or felony then reduce to a violation. His charge is sort of like a traffic ticket.

I have read articles on where people were charged for disorderly conduct which is a violation for example in new york and that came it came up on a background check.These two links should provide you with some useful information. The second link has someone asking why his conviction to a violation is affecting his search for employment. The cpl and equality knowledge on sealing laws in new york is probably why he gave the thread poster that advice.

http://law.onecle.com/new-york/crimi...55_160.55.html
    http://www.uslawbooks.com/forums/for...sages/216.html

I was never charged with a misdemeanor. It was always a NYCTA Rule violation charged. In other words, my charge was not brought down from something, it was what it was and I paid my fine immediately.

So is it true that after I paid my fine, that record has already been sealed.

I'm confused.

I think I found my answer. Non-criminal violations are supposed to be automatically sealed by the court after the disposition of the case.

Not a 100% sure though. I'll keep poking around for answers.

please stop worrying just call the court where said fine was paid. That is all you have to do. You don't need to drive yourself nuts by poking around. In fact the record might even have been destroyed rather than sealed CALL THE COURT.

ALSO senator sampson who put the second chance act together is having a private fundraiser where you can talk to him about these issues. anyone interested please look the sealing thread for info and donation amount.

I got an definite answer for this one. Since it was a civil and not a criminal case, it can not be sealed.

Whether this shows up on background checks is never sure. So if I'm asked if I have ever committed a crime, I am going to say no. If a question goes beyond it and asks for violations, then I will say yes and explain the circumstances.

they will never ask about violations on a non-law enforcement job application.

Quote Quoting equality
    View Post
    they will never ask about violations on a non-law enforcement job application.
    All background checks are not the same.

While I agree that most would not find a violation, to say "never" is not accurate.

Civil infractions can not be counted for ANY purpose.

If the police department involved reported it to NCIC then no expungment will make any difference though only law enforcement has access to NCIC and only for legitimate law enforcement purposes.

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast