Default Failure to Report Child Abuse

My wife has currently been in jail for a year and a half for pre meditated murder to my seven year old step son. When I made my statement i faild to tell the detective that she had hit him two days prior to her killing him.

She had told someone in the jail that she and I had an argument about her hitting him and that i was angry and worried that DCS would come and take the kids away. I never called the police about it due to she didnt tell me where or how I just figured she had smacked him or something.
    And that it probably wasnt bad. I told him it was the night before when she lost her temper again and was yelling at him, to be honest i wasnt thinking. But after the girl in her jail cell said something to her and she told the det. he called the coroner and he confirmed the bruises were 48 hours+ old.

Well two days later she killed him I have felt this whole time that if I would have done something he would still be alive. Well the detective called me in and asked me about it and I broke down in tears and said yes and the reason why I didnt call. He said he wasnt judging me because he dont know what he would have done if in my shoes.

He said something about failure to report but let me go. He said that we would worry about that later. I take this as it being a criminal charge and my question is how severe is it and what would be the worst outcome. I am worried because after my wife did what she did it left me and my 18 month old baby by ourselves. Now she is three and I am worried I could lose her to someone. Please Help Me. Thank you for your time in advanced.

By the way he said in a diffrent case a man and wife had a child the man molested the child she knew about but prayed about it and went to her pastor he said the kid told someone at school and thats how he found out. But when he went there for questioning she told him the story and the man went to jail and she kept the kids as in nothing happened to her.

Dont know if that means anything at all just thought I would let you all read that.

Default Failure to Report Abuse

The police officer is doing his job, investigating an incident and preparing a report. The report will likely be reviewed by a prosecutor, and it is possible that review could result in a charge. The officer was apparently trying to reassure you that given the full facts and context, the officer did not believe that charges would follow.

But how serious is a failure to report charge and what is the maximum penalty for it?

Default Failure to Report

There are likely a number of different statutes which could apply; if you want to discuss the full potential range, I suggest you speak with a local criminal defense lawyer.

1. Sponsored Links