Default Filing an Answer Petition to Paternity (Pro Se)

My question involves paternity law for the State of: Florida

My ex-girlfriend from 3 years ago has served me a paternity suit. The timeframe is right, but we had much turmoil during our relationship and several phases where she was not talking to me, and could have been with another person during that time.

I have decided to initially answer Pro Se until I can obtain a lawyer since the deadline is approaching and haven't found one affordable yet.

I am filing an answer and a motion for scientific testing, since I have some doubts that she was faithful to me during the period of our courtship.

My questions are

1.) Do I absolutely need to fill out a financial affidavit if paternity has not been tested yet? Can I just file the answer and motion for now?

2.) If I respond to sections on the petition that I legally reside in Florida, but deny other petitions, such as admittance of paternity, should I just file as a whole denial or that the evidence is insustainable?

Default Re: Filing an Answer Petition to Paternity (Pro Se)

You may want to see an attorney.

If the court asks for something, you have to provide it.

If you submit to the test it will remove all doubt. The court can also order you to take a test and you will have to comply.

Quote Quoting distressedmom
    View Post
    You may want to see an attorney.

If the court asks for something, you have to provide it.

If you submit to the test it will remove all doubt. The court can also order you to take a test and you will have to comply.
    The problem is the court hasn't asked for anything. I just need to answer the petition to comply, but several sites suggest I include the affidavit. Doesn't signing a financial affidavit basically say "Yes, I'm the father" before anything has been tested?

I will obtain an attorney, but the next couple days I need to respond and haven't found a lawyer I can afford. Legal Aid doesn't provide lawyers for paternity cases involving child support. I absolutely have to file the answer on my own and seek mediation afterward.

If the court has not asked you to submit a financial affidavit, why would you voluntarily submit one? Focus on the documents you're supposed to submit, rather than trying to cross additional hurdles that you're creating for yourself.

1. Sponsored Links