Default Camera Ticket for Right Turn on Red Light in Lynnwood, Washington

Hello all,

I got a camera ticket in the mail for turning right without a complete stop on red light from city of Lynnwood, WA. The infraction took place on 05.05.2010 and ticket was issued on 07.26.2010 for $124. I know that (1)(e) from RCW 46.63.170 states that a notice of infraction must be mailed to the registered owner of the vehicle within fourteen days of the violation. Is this enough for a ticket to get dismissed if I decide to contest it?

Also RCW 46.63.170 (2) states "infractions detected through the use of automated traffic safety cameras are not part of the registered owner's driving record under RCW 46.52.101 and 46.52.120. Additionally, infractions generated by the use of automated traffic safety cameras under this section shall be processed in the same manner as parking infractions, including for the purposes of RCW 3.50.100, 35.20.220, 46.16.216, and 46.20.270(3). However, the amount of the fine issued for an infraction generated through the use of an automated traffic safety camera shall not exceed the amount of a fine issued for other parking infractions within the jurisdiction."

So in event of contested hearing the judge doesn't not dismiss the ticket based on (1)(e), will he lower the fine based on (2)? I'm not sure if I am better of contesting the ticket or I should mitigate it and ask for a fine to get lowered.

Thank you, Michael

Default Re: Camera Ticket for Right Turn on Red Light in Lynnwood, WA

What was the statute listed on the ticket? Was it from the RCW's or was it a Lynnwood Ordinance? If it was Lynnwood, they may have a provision greater than 14 days. Otherwise, yes, since the statute says, "A notice of infraction must be mailed to the registered owner of the vehicle within fourteen days of the violation....", I'd say that SHOULD warrant a dismissal.

The fine is correct. The maximum parking ticket is $42 (be glad they don't include "Handicap Parking" fines). However, when you add all of the statutory fees and assessments (which parking tickets are not subject to), you get $124. If you mitigate with a fairly clean record, the fines are usually cut in half -- plus it WON'T go on your driving record.

Good luck, and let us know how it works out.

Barry
    Where am I going? And why am I in this handbasket?

Default Re: Camera Ticket for Right Turn on Red Light in Lynnwood, WA

Quote Quoting blewis
    View Post
    What was the statute listed on the ticket? Was it from the RCW's or was it a Lynnwood Ordinance? If it was Lynnwood, they may have a provision greater than 14 days. Otherwise, yes, since the statute says, "A notice of infraction must be mailed to the registered owner of the vehicle within fourteen days of the violation....", I'd say that SHOULD warrant a dismissal.

The fine is correct. The maximum parking ticket is $42 (be glad they don't include "Handicap Parking" fines). However, when you add all of the statutory fees and assessments (which parking tickets are not subject to), you get $124. If you mitigate with a fairly clean record, the fines are usually cut in half -- plus it WON'T go on your driving record.

Good luck, and let us know how it works out.

Barry
    Thank you for your response Barry. The ticket has the Lynnwood ordinance which also says that the ticket shall be mailed within 14 days. At this point I think I'm going to contest the ticket.

Default Re: Camera Ticket for Right Turn on Red Light in Lynnwood, Washington

Hi everyone,
    My name is also Michael and I too have gotten a Red Light Camera Ticket while making a right turn just as the intersection light turned red (184th ST SW @ Alderwood Mall Parkway). I live in Vancouver Canada and was unaware of this Red Light Enforcement Program. Please forgive me with the lack of insight into this program and US Law. My infraction took place on 07.16.2010 and ticket was issued on 07.26.2010 for $124, so Iím not lucky enough dispute this 14 day mail out clause.

My photo has a SPEED of 15, RTIME of 000.7 (how long the red light was on), and my brake lamp activated . I was attempting to make a right turn on a yellow since the intersection was clear. In theory and by law I should have attempted stopped on the yellow light, but I proceeded to make the right turn feeling that it was safe to do so with no other cars in the intersection. In order to make the turn safely I had to obvious slow down, but in doing so I did not cross the stopline in time before it turned red and thus getting my picture taken. Missed it by less than a second.

On a Google search, I have not read any successful dispute on this matter or I have not hitting the right key search words. My question is will it be worthwhile going through mitigation to dispute this. Do I have any chance of getting a warning or at least have the fine lower? And another question is if it will be more successful for me to do this in-person or by-mail or it does not matter?

Thanks for taking your time in reading my post. Any feedback, links or insight about this matter will be appreciated.
    Michael

IMO you are unlikely to beat this one given that you were rolling the turn at 15mph a full 7/10 of a second after the change. Is the picture of you clear?

I'm sympathetic having gotten a similar but far more costly ticket here in California. The yellow light just isn't as long as you think it is, and the timing formulas assume you're willing to brake at 10 feet-per-second-squared. About 1/3 of the motoring public misjudges this, according to studies done as far back as the early 1970s and as recently as 2006 in the UK. People aren't used to hard braking maneuvers for non-emergency situations.

Quote Quoting mike604
    View Post
    Hi everyone,
    My name is also Michael and I too have gotten a Red Light Camera Ticket while making a right turn just as the intersection light turned red (184th ST SW @ Alderwood Mall Parkway). I live in Vancouver Canada and was unaware of this Red Light Enforcement Program. Please forgive me with the lack of insight into this program and US Law. My infraction took place on 07.16.2010 and ticket was issued on 07.26.2010 for $124, so Iím not lucky enough dispute this 14 day mail out clause.

My photo has a SPEED of 15, RTIME of 000.7 (how long the red light was on), and my brake lamp activated . I was attempting to make a right turn on a yellow since the intersection was clear. In theory and by law I should have attempted stopped on the yellow light, but I proceeded to make the right turn feeling that it was safe to do so with no other cars in the intersection. In order to make the turn safely I had to obvious slow down, but in doing so I did not cross the stopline in time before it turned red and thus getting my picture taken. Missed it by less than a second.

On a Google search, I have not read any successful dispute on this matter or I have not hitting the right key search words. My question is will it be worthwhile going through mitigation to dispute this. Do I have any chance of getting a warning or at least have the fine lower? And another question is if it will be more successful for me to do this in-person or by-mail or it does not matter?

Thanks for taking your time in reading my post. Any feedback, links or insight about this matter will be appreciated.
    Michael
    You can file for mitigation hearing by mail and ask the judge to reduce the fine. The odds are that your ticket will be reduced in half.

SOME courts allow "Decisions on Written Statements", however, some do not. Call the Clerk and ask if that option is available -- BEFORE you mail in your statement.

Barry
    Where am I going? And why am I in this handbasket?

I like to thank everyone for taking their time in reading my post and providing me with some feedback.
    Have a wonderful weekend everyone,
    Michael

I finally had my court day last week. The prosecutor was present and my first motion that the notice was not mailed to me within 14 days got dismissed because they sent it to my old address. The second motion that the case was not filed within 5 business days from infraction got granted which resulted in dismissal. One thing I didn't know is that the dismissal can be granted if you say under the oath that you were not driving the car at the time of infraction and you do not know who was driving the vehicle.

Quote Quoting skyrocket101
    View Post
    I finally had my court day last week. The prosecutor was present and my first motion that the notice was not mailed to me within 14 days got dismissed because they sent it to my old address. The second motion that the case was not filed within 5 business days from infraction got granted which resulted in dismissal. One thing I didn't know is that the dismissal can be granted if you say under the oath that you were not driving the car at the time of infraction and you do not know who was driving the vehicle.
    So my wife just received same deal, right turn on red in Lynnwood. Her violation date is 12/27/2010, issue date 1/5/2011, date received letter 1/14/2011, and date the stamp was purchased 1/10/2011 (not postmarked).

11.18.020 Notice of infraction.

A. Whenever any vehicle is photographed by an automated traffic safety camera, a notice of infraction shall be mailed to the registered owner of the vehicle within 14 days of the violation, or to the renter of a vehicle within 14 days of establishing the renter’s name and address. A person receiving a notice of infraction based on evidence detected by an automated traffic safety camera may respond to the notice by mail.

So is it 14 days counting the day of violation and do they just need to have made effort to get it into the mail system in the 14, or does it need to arrive at our residence by 14 days.

And she was far outside the 5 business day limit between the violation and the issue date, however I could not find any legal reference to this statute and would love a citation...

Oh, and on top of that, when trying to view the video online, i get only black frames with multiple operating systems, platforms, browsers, and video players, can this be a route for information request?

Thanks a ton, Lynnwood's reputation precedes itself....

1. Sponsored Links