Default EDD Overpayment for Temporary Job

My question involves unemployment benefits for the state of: CA

I just received three "Notice of Overpayment" letters from the CA EDD office, totaling almost $8k. It stems from, I believe, a temp. job I had back in December of '09. It was supposed to be a 2 day assignment for a Thurs and Friday. I worked those days, and at the end of the day Friday was asked if I could come back for half a day on Monday. I told my temp. agent I couldn't because I had a prior (non work related) engagement for Monday afternoon, but I could work Tuesday or any other day that week.

Apparently, when I filed for an extension of UI benefits, they had decided that I "quit [my] job without good cause" for all of the subsequent weeks following that two day assignment in December. They decided this despite the fact that I contacted my temp. agent every week asking if there were any available assignments, which I would think is pretty clear evidence that I had not quit.

I'm going to appeal this because I see no other options, considering I am still unemployed, now have no UI benefits (so no income), and certainly can't pay that debt. Also, this whole situation is complicated even more by the fact that I'm moving from California to Washington DC in 10 days to attend culinary school (with money from federal grants/loans), so I won't even be in California at the time of any hearing for my appeal.

Any advice/insight into this process that anybody could give me would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks a lot.

Default Re: EDD Overpayment for Temporary Job

You've reported your version of events to EDD already, right? And they found the Monday appointment to be insufficient to justify your turning down work?

I guess they did see it as insufficient because I'm now in a position where I'll have to appeal their decision.

I would definitely appeal. That's just nuts.

As an aside, before enrolling in a culinary arts school I suggest reading this article from the New York Times.

Aaron, VERY interesting. And scary.

1. Sponsored Links