Results 1 to 2 of 2
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2010

    Default Expunging 3 Felonies and Joining the Military

    My question involves expungements or pardons for the state of: Michigan

    My husband is 22 years old and has 3 felonies, but would like to join the military. His first felony is for possession of drugs when he was 16, his second is for possession of drugs when he was 18, and his third is for fleeing and eluding when he was 19. He has completely changed now, and is married with 3 children and working very hard to support us, but his felonies seem to haunt him wherever he goes, whether it be trying to get a better job, trying to get help from the government with everyday living costs, or trying to get into school. If he hired an attorney and tried to prove to the judge how much he's changed, would he be able to get his felonies expunged so that he could join the military? And would they likely even accept him?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2007

    Default Re: Expunging 3 Felonies and Joining the Military

    I will look up the statutes... but, typically, only one crime can be expunged.

    The crimes committed as a juvenile may be more possible... if he was not tried as an adult.

    What did his recruiter say?

    I did find this... which says that nothing can be done for 5 years after a crime...

    Expungement of Criminal Records – General – Michigan
    1. What is an expungement?

    The process of legally destroying, obliterating or striking out records or information in files, computers and other depositories relating to criminal charges. In Michigan, the statute which defines the process of setting aside a conviction is also referred to in case law as an expungement statute. See, People v. Van Heck, 252 Mich. App. 207 (2002).

    2. Do the records just “disappear”?

    No. The records cannot be accessed for general law enforcement or civil use. An set-aside record may be considered in employment applications for law enforcement positions and licensing. Expunged records of may still be used as a prior conviction when applicable in subsequent sentencing. M.C.L. § 780.623. Setting aside of an offense doesn’t relieve anyone of a duty to register as a sex offender. M.C.L. § 780.622. Juvenile records of diverted sentences are to be destroyed within 28 days after they turn 17. M.C.L. § 722.828.

    4. What records may be set aside?

    Eligible records of convictions of first offenses (see below). M.C.L. § 780.621.

    5. Who is eligible for an order to set aside a criminal conviction?

    A person who is found guilty, or guilty but mentally ill, by a judge or jury, or pleads no contest. The criminal offense must not be a sexual offense under M.C.L. 750.520c, 750.520d, or 750.520g, a felony or attempted felony punishable by a life imprisonment, or a traffic offense. The person must not have any other prior convictions or convictions that were set aside. M.C. L. § 780.621 et seq. Juvenile with records of diverted sentences who have reached the age of 17. M.C.L. § 22.828.

    6. How do I get records set aside?

    An application must be filed at least 5 years following sentencing for the conviction that the applicant seeks to set aside or 5 years following completion of any term of imprisonment for that conviction, whichever occurs later. The application must contain:

    (a) The full name and current address of the applicant.
    (b) A certified record of the conviction that is to be set aside.
    (c) A statement that the applicant has not been convicted of an offense other than the one sought to be set aside as a result of this application.
    (d) A statement as to whether the applicant has previously filed an application to set aside this or any other conviction and, if so, the disposition of the application.
    (e) A statement as to whether the applicant has any other criminal charge pending against him or her in any court in the United States or in any other country.
    (f) A consent to the use of the nonpublic record created under section 3 to the extent authorized by section 3.

    The applicant must submit a copy of the application, a $50 fee, and 2 complete sets of fingerprints to the department of state police. The department of state police will compare those fingerprints with the records of the department, forward a complete set of fingerprints to the federal bureau of investigation for a comparison with the records available to that agency. The department of state police will report to the court in which the application is filed the information contained in the department’s records with respect to any pending charges against the applicant, any record of conviction of the applicant, and the setting aside of any conviction of the applicant and report to the court any similar information obtained from the federal bureau of investigation. The court will not act upon the application until the department of state police reports the information required by this subsection to the court.

    A copy of the application must be served upon the attorney general and upon the office of the prosecuting attorney who prosecuted the crime, and an opportunity will be given to the attorney general and to the prosecuting attorney to contest the application. If the conviction was for an assault crime or a serious misdemeanor, the prosecuting attorney shall notify the victim of the assault crime or serious misdemeanor of the application The victim has the right to appear at any proceeding related to setting aside the conviction and make a written or oral statement.

    If the court determines that the circumstances and behavior of the applicant from the date of the applicant’s conviction to the filing of the application warrant setting aside the conviction and that setting aside the conviction is consistent with the public welfare, the court may enter on order setting aside the conviction. M.C. L. § 780.621.

    1. Sponsored Links

Similar Threads

  1. Joining Military and May Need to Move Out of State
    By 49erFann in forum Child Custody, Support and Visitation
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 04-05-2010, 09:51 AM
  2. Expungement and Sealing: Expunging Two Old Felonies
    By biglake1962 in forum Criminal Records
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-30-2009, 10:48 PM
  3. Entering Service: Effect of a Possible Arrest Record on Joining the Military
    By springalot in forum Military Law
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-30-2009, 01:45 PM
  4. Emancipation: Ohio Emancipation from Joining the Military
    By xcautionkayy15x in forum Juvenile Law
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 06-20-2009, 04:30 AM
  5. Entering Service: Expungements and Joining the Military
    By bigjohnlapp in forum Military Law
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-28-2005, 07:03 PM
Sponsored Links

Legal Help, Information and Resources