Results 1 to 2 of 2
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2010

    Default How to Handle a Wrongful Garnishment

    My question involves collection proceedings in the State of: GEORGIA and
    possibly ALASKA

    Let me preface...I know I'll need to get an attorney...

    I received a notice of wage garnishment for $3000. Apparently, an attorney/debt collector's office served my old address in Georgia to appear in court. I've lived in Alaska for a year now and for some reason (even though my mail is forwarded) there's now a court order in Georgia. Obviously I didn't know to appear b/c I'm 4k miles away...

    I don't even know if this debt belongs to me...what do I do to ensure they don't get my money!?

    Do I need to write to the state superior court who has the garnishment order?

    Will this need to be moved to Alaska since that is now my state of residence b/c I'm not flying to Georgia for this...

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2010

    Default Re: How to Handle a Wrongful Garnishment

    Ok...more info. So apparently someone at the old address signed for it. I had someone get the paperwork and the default judgement was entered in Aug. 2008. I NEVER received anything regarding this...none of the judgement paperwork and not even the garnishment paperwork.

    So here's the kicker: this credit card was opened before I was 17.

    So now my question is am I past the time to get back into court to overturn the judgement? Speaking in terms of Georgia law...

    1. Sponsored Links

Similar Threads

  1. Assault & Battery: Assault Causing Bodily Injury Against a Girlfriend
    By gturner in forum Criminal Charges
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-06-2010, 08:59 PM
  2. Debt Collectors: Wages Garnishment and Possible Garnishment of Bank Accounts
    By isql in forum Debts and Collections
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-29-2010, 07:02 AM
  3. Defamation: What to Do if Falsely Accused of Selling Drugs
    By zedex in forum Defamation, Slander And Libel
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 08-21-2007, 01:56 AM
  4. Drunk and Impaired Driving: DWI Charge With a Refused Breathalyzer
    By ahammo3 in forum Drunk and Impaired Driving Charges
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-18-2007, 11:23 PM
  5. Custody and Visitation Issues: How to Get Your Ex- to Use Gun Locks for the Children's Safety
    By Katie in forum Child Custody, Support and Visitation
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-11-2005, 05:14 PM
Sponsored Links

Legal Help, Information and Resources

Forum Sponsor
Stop Collection Abuse
Fight back against abusive debt collectors. Easy to use letters and forms.