Default Substituting Multiple Volunteer Positions for Full-Time Employment

I'm trying to qualify for a GL-5 pay grade. I'm substituting work experience and college experience for it. On the application it says "full-time" experience for 1 year minimum. Well, here is where it gets tricky. I was a firefighter for 2 years. I've been an EMT for 2 years. Both volunteers. Now I work in a Psych Ward, Flex-Time, and have been for a few months now. Do you think I need to stop the application and look for employment with another agency? It is a Federal Law Enforcement agency.

Default Re: Substituting Multiple Volunteer Positions for Full-Time Employment

Do you have to rescind one application to pursue employment without another agency? You can't continue the one and still look for other opportunities?

I'm honestly not sure what you're asking.

Basically, I want to work for a Federal Agency. On the Online Application, it states "Full-Time" work experience that demonstrates the applicants ability to perform the job. You can also use a combination of college education and work experience. On USA Jobs, it states: Applicants must have a substantial background of work experience of which at least one year must have been comparable in level of difficulty and responsibility to grade GS-4 in the Federal service. This experience must have demonstrated the ability to do all three of the following:

1. Take charge, make sound decisions, and maintain composure in stressful situations;
    2. Learn law enforcement regulations, methods and techniques through classroom training and/or on-the-job instruction;
    3. Gather factual information through questioning, observation, and examination of documents and records. - From USA Jobs.

It doesn't mention the work experience having to be Full-Time, Part-Time, Flex-Time, Volunteer, etc. As a Volunteer, I easily put in over 80 hours a month. Each time I did my "running" I pulled 12's and it isn't uncommon for me to spend 24-36-48 hours at a time running.

You have nothing to lose, then, by continuing the application process. Agreed, though, there are probably 100 candidates for every job out there, and it's likely the employer, government or public, will opt for at least some paid experience rather than all volunteer work.

Just saying, don't get your hopes up. And keep searching in the private sector as well.

Yeah, I've/I'm looked/looking into MTA Police, Amtrak, and different cities around Virginia. But on the form, it says where I have to schedule a test date. If I apply for it, and schedule a testing date, doesn't that constitute for me knowingly lying on an application? I'm probably over-thinking it. Because on the application it states "Full-Time", on USA Jobs it doesn't. But if I continue the application and click "yes" for having a Full-Time job for at least 1 year, and I don't, and haven't, isn't that lying?

Not unless the application specifically says "paid" work.

Ahhh, and to the best of my knowledge, it doesn't. I really didn't think about that, I just assumed(bad word) that it referred to Paid Full-Time.

1. Sponsored Links