Default School District Office Employee Denied

My question involves unemployment benefits for the state of: CA

Hello. I browsed through the threads and didn't see this addressed yet.

I am a full-time employee at a school district office. Many of us received a layoff notice stating that our work year will be reduced by two weeks, due to ongoing budget cuts. After a telephone interview with EDD, I received a letter stating that my claim was denied because the layoff occurred during a recess period. However, the recess period is for the schools only, not the district office itself. I attempted to explain this during my interview, but the EDD representive didn't seem to comprehend what I was saying.

I have chosen to appeal this decision based on the fact that the district office operates year-round, and that I would normally be at work right now prior to this 2-week layoff.

Do I have a case?

Thanks in advance.

Default Re: School District Office Employee Denied

Sounds like it to me. Has anything been scheduled yet?

Thank you for the reply. I just received the letter today; will send tomorrow. I figured it is at least worth a shot.

When the hearing is scheduled, your employer should be there. Seems to me they can confirm your situation. Let us know when you get the notice, but I wouldn't expect the hearing for several weeks; you know the situation in California with UI backlog and furloughs.

Hello! Just wanted to come back and report that my denial of benefits was reversed! I didn't even have to appear in court. When I received my notice of denial and appeal form, I filled it out and returned it with a cover letter explaining the situation, and a copy of my layoff noticed signed by me and the personnel director. I was very polite in the letter, and stated that it appeared to have been a misinterpretation of facts during the telephone interview. Received a check a few days ago. I'm glad that I did not take "no" for an answer.

Thank you for this forum, and for the replies to my question.

1. Sponsored Links