Unhappy What can parents do about a troublesome teen

We have a VERY ungovernable 15 year old teen boy. He has made it very clear that he doesn't want to live with us anymore. He wants us to emancipate him NOW. He has said over and over that he is going to keep our home in pure turmoil untill he can get out. From what I have read he must be 16 years old. The grandparents have told him that at 16 they will help him to get emancipated. We do not get along with the grandparents because they encourage his bad behavior. They encourage him to run away, then harbor him from the police. I don't ever see us seeing eye to eye with the grandparents. Is there any way to emancipate a teen boy who just turned 15? We do love him greatly but he is a very angry child. And I believe him when he says he will keep the home in turmoil. What can we do he's not the only child in the home. It's time for some peace.

Default Re: What can parents do about a troublesome teen

In what state?

We live in Florida.

As you seem to know, Florida's emancipation statute requires a minor to be sixteen before a petition can be filed. There may be programs available through the Department of Health and Human Services, such as the "Strengthening Families Initiative", that could be helpful.

What counseling ????? Been there done that !!!!!!!!!! Does'nt work! He needs out of the house. So now what ???

Why did you have kids? I'm sorry that you have a difficult child, but perhaps there is a reason he is so difficult. Can you honestly say that you have always been there for him? If he wants to move out then letting him is one thing, but my goodness take some responsibility for your creation. He never asked to be born. You brought him here, and you are responsible for his well-being until he is capable.

Angry Re: What can parents do about a troublesome teen

Quote Quoting Robynwings705
    Why did you have kids? I'm sorry that you have a difficult child, but perhaps there is a reason he is so difficult. Can you honestly say that you have always been there for him? If he wants to move out then letting him is one thing, but my goodness take some responsibility for your creation. He never asked to be born. You brought him here, and you are responsible for his well-being until he is capable.
    Apparently you either A) Don't have any children of your own and/or B) Never been through a divorce where the other "parent" is so hell bent on making your life miserable that it doesn't bother her to use the child to do her bidding. Obviously my new wife & I care and love our son very much, otherwise we wouldn't care what or how he turns out when he becomes an adult. We came to this forum looking for help, not for some liberal whiner to pass judgement on a situation that you have no clue how deep it goes.

Exclamation Re: What can parents do about a troublesome teen

Quote Quoting Robynwings705
    I am a mom of a troubled teen, and I am just as insulted by your response as the person you said this to. My husband and I planned the birth of our two sons with much joy and anticipation. We have always been there for him (and his younger brother). We are still married despite the overwhelming odds we have faced due to our older son's attitudes and behaviors.

He is a very bright young man of nearly 17. Yet, he failed 11th grade because HE refused to do enough work to pass. We have been to court countless times due to HIS unlawful actions. He was placed in residential treatment due to HIS high risk actions, not ours. We have had him in one form of counseling or another CONTINUOSLY regarding his emotional issues for the last six years. Counseling will do him no good until HE wants it too.

We are now to the point of him being placed into a juvenile detention facility if he accrues one more offense. In the state of PA, parents must pay child support for a teen in a juvenile facility. Frankly, we can't afford it. We already work five jobs between the two of us as it is just to pay the bills. We would lose our home. (We do not have a fancy house or expensive cars. We do not go on long expensive vacations. In fact, we've barely taken a real vacation in ten years! We try to live within our means, but when your own son is literally destroying things in the house, you have to fix them, and it costs money!!)

We love him very much, but he needs to grow up and be the young man we have tried to raise as best we can, and not run around putting himself at risk the way he has for the last few years. Otherwise, we need to emancipate him and give him a taste of the "real world" of which he has no real understanding.

What do you have to say about that?

Have him live with his grandparents. most likely it won't be as great as he thinks and he'll come running back to you. If it turns out he likes it there. Than have the people behind the problem take care of him.

1. Sponsored Links