Exclamation Getting Out of an Emotionally Abusive Home

My question involves child abuse or neglect in the State of: Maryland

I am an adopted minor in the state of Maryland and am about to turn 17 years old.
    In the past, my father has been abusive, both physically and emotionally.
    I have contacted CPS and they have conducted an investigation. They found no cause for legal action. However, after their investigation, the physical abuse from my father stopped. The emotional abuse did get worse.
    I find myself crying to sleep, I have lost many of my friends. He ridicules and yells at me in front of the few friends I have left. He constantly calls me fat and lazy, and tells me that he is convinced I will never make it in college. He threatens to "beat the shit" out of me and "send me back to my lazy, fat- ass birth-mother". He constantly calls me inappropriate names, and always has a need to know exactly where I am.
    I can barely sleep anymore. My doctor put me on Lexapro (an anti-depressant) after I told her I had been having nightmares. However, after three months on the drug, I haven't noticed much of a change.

The truth is, I am terrified to go back to CPS. I am terrified to seek help again. I want to learn about the emancipation of a minor. I feel like this has gone too far. I have a job and I have one good friend who has supported me throughout this ordeal. I would pay for online help, but I'm scared of my father finding out where the credit card payment went.

Please help.

Default Re: Emotional Abuse - Where to Next

The chances of a teen who is on anti-depressants being emancipated are pretty much at zero.

Emancipation is hard. It's supposed to be hard. It was set up deliberately to be hard. It was intended to be hard. According to aggregate numbers I have seen, less than 1% of minors who apply for emancipation actually succeed. In the very rare situations when emancipation is granted, it is to a minor who ALREADY has a PROVEN history of self-support.

Default Re: Emotional Abuse - Where to Next

Thank you for your reply.

Do you have any examples of self-support? I do have an income, and I do get myself to work on my own when I need to.

As far as anti-depressants go, it can be proven that the reason I am ON the medication is because of my father. When I spend time away from him, people make note of the positive change in my behavior.

In addition, does anyone have any information on emancipation via marriage?
    It may sound crazy, but one of my friends has offered- we are NOT in a romantic relationship, but he has been so supportive and insanely offered. I would never marry him, but it got me thinking- can you get married and be emancipated? Or do your parents have to consent to the marriage first?

Default Re: Getting Out of an Emotionally Abusive Home

There is no state in the US where a minor under the age of 18 can be married without the consent of their parents, the court, or both.

Self support means that you, and only you, are paying for your own rent, food, clothes, utilities, medical care, transportation, insurance, school fees and supplies, and all the other incidentals of life, all by yourself, alone and unassisted. And before you ask, it does not mean moving in with a family member or friend and paying a token amount in "rent" while they pay the remainder of the household expenses; it means that the bills for the above are in your name.

The reason you are taking the anti-depressants does not matter. The fact that you are taking them does.

Really, emancipation is a no-go here. Is there a family member who might consent to go to court and apply for guardianship of you?

1. Sponsored Links