Default Is It Possible or Necessary to Register a Moped in Illinois with a Michigan License

My question involves vehicle registration or title in the state of: Illinois and Michigan.

I am a student in Illinois and I have recently purchased a 49cc moped. However, I only have a Michigan license, where I would not need plates for a moped this small. Is it possible for me to have Illinois registration and license plates with a Michigan license? If so, how do I go about doing so?

Default Re: Is It Possible or Necessary to Register a Moped in Illinois with a Michigan Licen

you don't have to plate the thing in Michigan due to the size but you can plate it in Michigan regardless of the size.

I do not believe you can obtain registration in Illinois as your title should be in the state of your residence, which is apparently Michigan. As such, you cannot register it in Illinois as I understand the situation.

So, if they will not allow you to use the moped in Illinois without a reg based on it not being required in Mi, then you will have to register is and I believe you will have to do that through Mi.

Default Re: Is It Possible or Necessary to Register a Moped in Illinois with a Michigan Licen

I have an Illinois title though. Does that make any difference?

Quote Quoting ericke36
    View Post
    I have an Illinois title though. Does that make any difference?
    how did you obtain an Illinois title if you are not an Illinois resident?

I bought the moped from someone who lives in illinois and so the title is from illinois.

Quote Quoting ericke36
    View Post
    I bought the moped from someone who lives in illinois and so the title is from illinois.
    and you transferred it into your name using an Illinois address?

It is in the process of being transferred. I took it in about two weeks ago but have yet to receive the new one. But yes, I used my Illinois address.

Quote Quoting ericke36
    View Post
    It is in the process of being transferred. I took it in about two weeks ago but have yet to receive the new one. But yes, I used my Illinois address.
    Well, then I would suspect you would get a registration using that title and address. I think it will be a problem if the police pull you over though since your actual residence is in MI. Titles and license generally should be in the same state.

I would simply ask the DMV about the issue. Sorry I don't have any more advice than that.

On the moped, you will want to make sure you have insurance on it since in IL, it is like a licensed vehicle or motorcycle.

I have a 49 cc moped and taken it with me when traveling. Some states require full registration and insurance and others don't. I maintain IL registration on it since a couple of the neighboring states to Colorado where I live require registration. Colorado will not issue plates/title for mopeds that are less than 50 cc. When I registered it in IL, they didn't check if I had an IL license or anything. Reason I went with IL is my family connections there.

1. Sponsored Links