Default Lien on a Used Car, What Happens During Repossession

My question involves a consumer law issue in the State of: New York

Hello,

I accidentally purchased a used car while neglecting to notice that the previous owner had an active lien on it (stupid mistake, I know) since I did not know New York state law allowed the transfer of a vehicle that still had a lien on it. I found out about the lien, however, before I registered the vehicle at the DMV so the title and registration is still under the seller's name, and the lien is NOT in my name yet. I know I was fooled afterwards since the seller does not respond to any phone calls after the sale. I have tried to call his lien-holder about the amount to which the lien's balance still has, but the lien-holder claims that the company will not allow this information to be given to me unless the seller has granted permission.

My question is, during repossession, is the worst that can happen that the car is just repossessed, and I will not have to deal with any more of the leftover liens of the seller? I am hoping there are no further repercussions since the title and registration is still under the seller's name, all I have done is sent cash to the seller and had a bill of sales and a signed title.

Default Re: Lien on a Used Car, What Happens During Repossession

Have you considered asking the seller to either pay off the lien or refund your money?

Default Re: Lien on a Used Car, What Happens During Repossession

Quote Quoting Mr. Knowitall
    View Post
    Have you considered asking the seller to either pay off the lien or refund your money?
    Yes, in my original post I stated I have tried to call the person, and as of recently I have tried to talk to him in person by knocking on his door. However, he is always giving me the runaround, and the other residents play dumb that they have not been in touch with him, even though I suspect he is hiding inside.

1. Sponsored Links