Default Can a Newborn Be Given a Last Name Different than Those of Both Parents

My question involves naming laws in the State of: Texas

Me and my wife grew up in another part of the world where we don't really have a last name/surname/family name. Basically when we are born our parents choose two or three different names and one of them becomes first, middle and last name. And the last name is not carried from father to children etc. Basically the last name is no different then first name. It has no significance.

Now I am expecting our first baby and plan to give the baby a last name that will be different then mine or my wife. My wife got no issue with this. I will be at the delivery room and plan to have both of our names in the baby brith certificate.

Now, I been told that here in US, the child must share last name of either the father or the mother. Is this really true?

Default Re: Can New Born Be Given a Last Name Different then Those of Both Parents

Good question. I've always been told that you can name your child anything that you choose (first, middle and last) as long as it's not found to be offensive or a 'burden' to the child (ie: you can't name your child expletives etc). The parents names are listed on the bc and serve as identifiers for the child. Are you attempting to 'start' a family name that can be passed from generation to generation?

Default Re: Can New Born Be Given a Last Name Different then Those of Both Parents

ow, I been told that here in US, the child must share last name of either the father or the mother. Is this really true?
    No. You may give your baby whatever last name you want.

Default Re: Can a Newborn Be Given a Last Name Different then Those of Both Parents

Now, I been told that here in US, the child must share last name of either the father or the mother. Is this really true?
    It is not. You may name your child Hildah The Valkyrie, if that's what pleases you. Unlike some other countries the United States does not have a Naming Authority for children.

Officially across the country from where I've been all my life

Default Re: Can a Newborn Be Given a Last Name Different then Those of Both Parents

Quote Quoting LawResearcherMissy
    View Post
    It is not. You may name your child Hildah The Valkyrie, if that's what pleases you. Unlike some other countries the United States does not have a Naming Authority for children.
    Some states, (Louisiana is one) do have laws regarding the surnames of children.

Quote Quoting CourtClerk
    View Post
    Some states, (Louisiana is one) do have laws regarding the surnames of children.
    they don't count. Heck, even God has been trying to remove them from the US as a state.

to anybody from Louisiana;, just kidding but it would be nice if you used the same legal system as everybody else does.

Officially across the country from where I've been all my life

Quote Quoting jk
    View Post
    they don't count. Heck, even God has been trying to remove them from the US as a state.
    LMAOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

to anybody from Louisiana;, just kidding but it would be nice if you used the same legal system as everybody else does.
    and they say CA is weird....

1. Sponsored Links