Default Old Debt Collections in Georgia

I received a letter today from a collection agency stating they had purchased a debt from another collection agency and they are wanting to offer me a settlement. However, this debt is from the early 90's (1993/1994) and from what I understand the statute of limitations has run out on this debt. I have also pulled all 3 credit reports and this item is not on there. I know it was on there in the past, but after 7 years it dropped off. My question is, is that I know I need to respond to this letter and before 30 days, but I am not sure how to respond. I don't want this item to appear on my credit reports. I know at this point it would be illegal for them to do that. Please advise me on how to respond to this letter...I am not able to pay this debt and would not now anyway because of how old it is, but I don't want to respond in such a way that would make me liable for this debt now....

Quote Quoting aaron
    You may wish to take a look at the sample letter objecting to a debt on the basis of the statute of limitations from this thread. The statute of limitations in Georgia is probably four years (open account, such as a credit card) or six years (debt from a written contract not under seal).

I took your advice and sent a leter to the collection agency. Today I received a letter stating that one of their representatives has filed a Universal Data Form electronically for my account. It was sent to the 3 credit reporting agencies to update their trade line for this account. They enclosed a copy of the Universal Data Form and checked on the form is delete under for reporting or updating account information. My question I guess is what is a Universal Data Form, and what do I need to do from here out....
    Did the letter I sent to them work and other than monitoring my credit report is there anything else I should do?

Thank you for any help you can give me.....

Default Re: Old debt Collections in Georgia

Are you describing two different debts, or one? Is your first paragraph (before the quote) a separate issue and question from your second (after the quote)?

Default Re: Old debt Collections in Georgia

No they are the same thing....the first(before the quote) was the original question...the quote was the first reply, and the last paragraph is the follow up question. The follow up is what I need an answer to....Sorry about that...

1. Sponsored Links