Angry Dealership Not Giving Full Deposit Back

My question involves a consumer law issue in the State of: Illinois

I Purchased a used car in Illinois on a Wednesday. During financing they forced me to buy an extended warranty by telling me they would not finance me at that % without it. The very next day I called for the financing manager and canceled the warranty. He apologized and said the normal financing guy "Did not know he could not do that". I went back a couple days later and re did the contract on a Saturday.

The following Thursday, 8 days after purchase, the bank that financed me called and thanked me for their business and told me when the payments would be due. 30 minutes after I got off the phone with the bank the dealership called me back and said they could not get me financed and to return the car.

I returned the car that day and they kept trying to drag me into an office to "Work something out". I refused and told them to take the car back.. They are now claiming I damaged the car and will not give me my full down payment back. They are claiming the damage was around $600 to repair and are deducting that from the refund of the down payment. The damage they are claiming I was at fault for is a dent on a door, which I have photos and multiple people to testify that the damage was there when I purchased the car.

Any info would be helpful, thanks in advance. Its my understanding that they cannot deduct "repair costs" from the refund of my down payment. That the repair costs is a separate issue that they have to bill/sue for it.

Default Re: Dealership Not Giving Full Deposit Back

If you can prove the damage was pre-existing and they won't give back your money, you can sue them in small claims court. You can also consider filing a complaint with the Attorney General's office, consumer division.

1. Sponsored Links