Question Harassment Charge After Posting Personal Ad With Somebody Else's Info

My question involves criminal law for the state of: Pennsylvania

During a most terrible breakup of a long time friendship, I went online and posted an ad on craigslist asking men to call (victims) number for sexual meetings. (stupid thing to do but during a manic moment of bipolar disorder, my impulse took over) The next day I went to take the post down as it was put up during a heated moment of anger, sadness and me seeking to cause embarrassment. The post was gone. I later found out I was being charged with harassment. M3 18 2709 A4. I immediately I got a public defender and applied for ARD. ARd was denied. I know what i did was wrong and did everything I could to fix it, even apologized and offered to pay the victims phone bill, but I was told I had a lesson to learn. Understood. My fear is I am a mother of three children, my husband works third shift, we have no sitter fr the kids EVER and I am a full time college student with a part time job through work study. Will the court take any of that into consideration? I fear jail time as it will be disastrous to the welfare of my children. I am not sure what an M3 means. I hope it is possible to get probation, a fine, a restraining order. Anything that keeps me out of jail. This is my first harassment charge. I have previous offenses from many many years back, of retail theft.

Would the judge take into consideration my current status of being otherwise an upstanding citizen? I worry about this so much I cannot sleep even my xanax isn't working anymore. Any help would be appreciated. Thank You.

Default Re: Harassment Charge After Posting Personal Ad With Somebody Else's Info

(stupid thing to do but during a manic moment of bipolar disorder, my impulse took over)
    Stop that. Thousands of bi-polar folks somehow manage to not act like fools every day. This was a malicious act, not an accident of your illness, so step up and own it like a grown up. The judge is not going to buy your excuse of "My bi-polar disorder made me do it."

M3 is a third degree misdemeanor in Pennsylvania, punishable by up to a year in jail.

That said, it's unlikely that you'll catch jail time, if you're still working with your Public Defender. (If you're not, go get him again.) You're more likely to be slapped with a stiff fine and a strict probation, as well as a strict restraining order.

This doesn't mean that jail time is completely off the table, only that it's not as likely for a first offender.

Default Re: Harassment Charge After Posting Personal Ad With Somebody Else's Info

Your bi-polar disorder made you do it?

Do you really want to use that excuse? Because then you are opening a huge can of worms....like maybe an investigation into the welfare of your kids....and maybe a few days locked up for a mental health evaluation....

Quote Quoting PandorasBox
    View Post
    Your bi-polar disorder made you do it?

Do you really want to use that excuse? Because then you are opening a huge can of worms....like maybe an investigation into the welfare of your kids....and maybe a few days locked up for a mental health evaluation....
    I didn't mean for it to sound like I was saying that i did this because of being bipolar. Not my intention AT ALL. And I'm sorry if it did read that way. I know what was done was stupid and mean and horrible. I did do it to try and cause pain. I am not BLAMING my actions for it. I mentioned it only because I was off meds and was having a manic moment and wasn't thinking about the effect it would have. I mentioned it because I am not normally impulsive and plan things out by playing out scenarios. It was a serious lapse of judgement, in fact I am not even going to mention it in court or even to my attorney. In retrospect, saying it here was a waste of time, when I initially only wished for some insight to allow me to sleep a little better. Out of all mistakes I have made in my life, this is the one I regret the most. Not because charges are being brought against me, but because I accomplished my goal of hurting this person. I never truely thought I was capable of hurting someone on such a level. I want nothing more than to have the oppurtunity to make amends, not with hopes that it will get me out of trouble, I can accept punishment. Other than my fear of being taken away from my children I'm afraid I will never get the chance to really apologize. Everyone makes mistakes, I know that. The mistake I made hurt someone. Please please please do not think I was saying that I was saying being bipolar made me do it.

1. Sponsored Links