Default Visiting the USA With an Old, Outstanding Bench Warrant

Hello and thank you for reading my thread / my questions. About ten years ago I was a 19 years old boy from europe who had a relationship with an american girl from New Jersey. I have visited her in New Jersey many times until we split up and I went back to europe. A few weeks later I had received a summons from a court in New Jersey with criminal charges that the girl had filed against me, I assume a perverted way of revenge for breaking up with her. Even though the statement said that a bench warrant for my arrest will be issued if I fail to appear before this court I never bothered to go back to the USA. Now, ten years later I would like to go to the USA for vacation but I am afraid that the bench warrant might still exist (if it was issued at all?) and that i would get arrested at the customs when trying to enter the country. I do not want to take this risk but how do i know if there is a warrant and how do clear it without going to prison first? It's a nice country and i would like to go there again some time.
    Thank you,
    Martin

Default Re: Visiting the USA With an Old, Outstanding Bench Warrant

You were charged with what? Domestic violence?

You're planning to enter the U.S. through what port of entry?

It was some weird charges, I remember it said "terroristic acts" on the summons and domestic violence of course.

When I had received it I took it to my local police station and asked what I should do and if I should worry about it and they advised me not to go the USA again and that they wouldn't arrest me as long as no international warrant is issued and they checked and there wasn't.

I'd like to enter the USA by plane.

Consider hiring a lawyer in the county where you were charged to find out what the charge is and whether there's a way you can resolve it. If you don't even know what the charge is, nobody can reasonably tell you what impact it might have at the border.

Perhaps you think "port of entry" applies only to ships? If your port of entry is in New Jersey you are more likely to get detained on the warrant than if it's in another state.

1. Sponsored Links