Default Statutory Rape in Florida

My question involves criminal law for the state of: Florida

I will be fifteen this next week, and I have a very close friend who will be nineteen in a few months. My family has threatened to press statutory rape charges against him if we continue to talk, even though I met him through school before he graduated. Although we do have a strong emotional connection and were potentially interested in each other as more than friends, he and I were not a couple and had never done more than talk and hug; we never had sex or even engaged in any sort of sexual matter, including talking about the subject. Is it possible for my family to press any kind of charges against him or get him in any sort of trouble with the state, the court, or anybody else? Also, is it possible for them to put a restraining order on him for any legal reason? Thank you.

Default Re: Statutory Rape in Florida

It's entirely possible for your parents to get a restraining order against him.

While you're a minor, what they say goes. If they say no contact at all - that's exactly what it means.

No contact. No talks, no hugs, not a thing.

Otherwise he can get into a heap of trouble and I'm sure you don't want that.

Default Re: Statutory Rape in Florida

^^ Everything above is true. I would also like to add that although he is not breaking any laws by hanging out/talking with you (if your parents donít take out a restraining order), your parents CAN press charges for statutory rape at ANY time.

Will he get convicted for it? Most likely not (if you donít have any sort of sexual contact). Most likely the DA wont even bother to bring up formal charges. But if they do bring up charges it will be a nightmare for him to go through the court process to clear himself of the charges.

This is because in FL statutory rape is a 2nd degree felony, meaning maximum of 15 years in prison. I think anybody would be sweating bullets if they are facing 15, whether they are guilty or not.

1. Sponsored Links