Default Evicting Room Mate for Not Paying Rent or Utilities

My question involves an eviction in the state of: Oregon. I am the sole lease holder to a rental unit in Beaverton, OR. I signed a year's lease which I am breaking two months early with the cooperation of my landlord. I have a room mate who is not on the lease and with whom I did not have a written room mate agreement. I gave him a notice of the end of lease on June 18, 2010 for July 18, 2010 - thirty days. He is refusing to pay the utilities for the month of June or the rent for the month of July. He is also saying he will not move until August 1, 2010. Due to the tension, I have moved my belongings and myself out of the unit as of this posting. He now says that since I am his landlord, I need to provide him 24 hrs notice before entering the unit again. What are my rights concerning evicting him if he does not pay July's rent and also my righs concerning entering the unit?

Default Re: Evicting Room Mate for Not Paying Rent or Utilities

Your not his landlord ITS YOUR APPARTMENT!. Call the sheriffs office and file for an eviction of him also if u moved out and all the utilitys are in your name, just call and shut them off

Default Re: Evicting Room Mate for Not Paying Rent or Utilities

Your not his landlord ITS YOUR APPARTMENT!. Call the sheriffs office and file for an eviction of him also if u moved out and all the utilitys are in your name, just call and shut them off
    No. Every bit of this is incorrect.

What are my rights concerning evicting him if he does not pay July's rent and also my righs concerning entering the unit?
    The apartment is leased to you, therefore you have all rights of entry whenever you so please.

You've already given your roommate 30 days notice. He has no standing to stay any longer. If he fails to pay July's rent, you can either serve him a 3 day notice and initiate formal eviction proceedings, or you can leave him there and let your landlord have him removed for trespassing after you move out. Since your landlord is being nice and letting you break your lease, I'd suggest you serve the notice.

If he doesn't pay utilities, you may sue him in small claims court for his share. You may not just have them shut off until after the date you've agreed with the landlord is YOUR move out date.

1. Sponsored Links