1. I live in NY State and according to my deed I have "an easement of right of way in common with others" to and from my property to public street.
2. Have used and maintained this roadway for the past 29 years -- snow removal, fallen trees and limbs, filling in pot holes etc.
3. Recently had a professional contractor pave a 200 ft section of the roadway that was badly deteriorated and dangerous.
4. Recieved a letter from absentee owner of the roadway demanding that I remove the new pavement.
5. This letter also stated that " you have a responsibility to maintain the road but no right to change its character."
6. The section of roadway that I had repaved was paved when I moved here in 1981.
7. The deed is silent on the issue of maintainence
1. Does the owner have a legal basis for his demand?
2. Do I have any rights in this matter?