Unhappy Roommate is Moving Out

My roommate and I have been fighting since February, and she has decided to move out as of next week. Our lease ends July 31st, but she keeps threatening not to pay the rent of 500 dollars because she won't be living here as of the first.. I told her I would pay water, electric, and any other will associated with the apartment since I will be staying here, but she will owe the rent because she did not tell me she was moving out until 2 weeks ago, first giving me less than 30 days to find someone for the last month, and second, the landlord will not let her out of the lease. She already tried that one. I told her I would take her to court, and she told me I do not have enough to get her to pay. I have: two texts from her saying she would, my mother has a text to her saying I will not release her from the rent when she was texting my mother asking me to, and I have canceled checks showing I've only paid half of the rent since she moved in. My landlord can't do anything in this situation, because we are both on the lease. They don't care who pays, because we're both responsible.

The last thing I have to say is that I have to pay regardless. I'm moving into a one bedroom in the same complex, and when I spoke to the landlord about this, they said I will lose the apartment and my security deposit if I have outstanding debts. Can anyone give me any advice on taking her to court and resolving the whole situation? Do I have enough to take her to small claims court?

Default Re: Roommate is Moving Out

I told her I would take her to court, and she told me I do not have enough to get her to pay.
    Oh, but you do. You have the LEASE, on which she is a signer. That means she's responsible for her share of the rent until the end of the lease term. She is contractually obligated to pay.

Go ahead and take her to court.

1. Sponsored Links