Default Negotiating With a Debt Collector

My question involves collection proceedings in the State of: california

Hello, i have been speaking with what I think is a debt collector for about a month. First they identified themselves as an active litigation firm who wanted to serve me a summons but could not find me. I verified my current address. Then they wanted to settle out of court which i was willing to do. Never could they show proof of debt or any information that I beleive they would have if they owned the debt or in fact that they were suing me. They have also said that a lawyer owned the debt and then they said that they owned the debt. How should I handle this from here? the last message they left said they were filing court papers if I dont pay.Aby help would be appreciated.

Default Re: Negotiating With a Debt Collector

How do you want to handle it?

You can ignore them or instruct them not to call, and see if they sue you. You can attempt to negotiate a reduced payoff. You can investigate to see if they've been honest with you and, if not, whether you have a potential action against them under state and/or federal consumer protection laws. I suspect that you can come up with other possible approaches, as well.

Default Re: Negotiating With a Debt Collector

Thank you. What kind of proof against them would hold up in court? I have read alot of different forums from other poeple with complaints against this company. They are threatening alot of poeple out there and either telling the truth or they imposing as a legal entity. Isn't it against the law for them to even threaten to sue? Also they had said they tried to serve me 30 days prior to our first phone conversation but then admitted to purchasing the debt only a week before the first phone conversation.

1. Sponsored Links