Default Collections on a Settled Student Loan

My question involves collection proceedings in the State of: Ohio
    I had a student loan with Sallie Mae. I defaulted on this loan. In December 2009 I started receiving calls from an attorney's office and they eventually filed suit against me in April. I received a call in April from a company representing Sallie Mae and I settled on the loan. What I didn't know at that time was Sallie Mae sent my student loan (the only one I had) to 2 different agencies, an attorney's office and to a collection agency. In the meantime I answered to the suit filed by the attorneys office stating we settled in full with another company. The collection agency has called us 3 times since the settlement trying to collect on the account. Each time we tell them we settled with them they apologize and state they will stop calling. The attorneys office is still filing suit and I just received a letter stating that I have to appear in court on 8/5/10. What do I do? How do I get this resolved? Neither Sallie Mae, the attorney or the collections agency is able to help me and I'm at my wits end. We tried to to the right thing but they keep calling and Im still being sued for a debit that I have settled. Any advice is helpful.

Default Re: Collections on a Settled Student Loan

You need to answer the lawsuit, present your settlement of the debt as an affirmative defense, and appear in court as ordered.

You have documentation of your settlement, and your payment of the settlement, right?

Yes I have a settlement letter from the collection agency.

Don't lose it, or the proof that you fully complied with the deal. Have you conveyed copies of the letter and proof of payment to plaintiff's counsel, in association with your objection to the lawsuit as relating to a debt that has been settled?

No I have sent the attorney a copy of the letter but I will have that faxed first thing Monday morning. Thank you so much for your help!

1. Sponsored Links