Default Driveway and Fence Issue in New Jersey

My question involves real estate located in the State of: New Jersey

I bought a house about 6 years ago. I had a copy of the survey but couldn't find any stakes so about a year later I had the Surveyor come back and restake the property. One of the spikes was about 18" into the neighbors driveway. I could see that the Belgian blocks had been moved because the blacktop did not go all the way up to them. The neighbors house was a rental. I got the owners info from the town clerk and contacted them. She told me she would have to ask her husband and she would get back to me. After a week or 2 I called her back and she said, "My husband says your surveyor is wrong." They then paved over the driveway and the spike. I had a lot of other things going on with the house and doing remodeling. Now I'm working on the yard and I want to put a fence up so I have to get the Surveyor to come back out mark the corners again. What can I do about the property line? Town ord says I can put the fence right on the property line.

Default Re: Driveway and Fence Issue in New Jersey

If you're certain your survery is accurate, then you can put the fence directly on the property line. I would let the neighbor know that you trust your recent survey and are planning to place the fence directly on the property line (I'm assuming you have to at least notify the adjacentn owner if you place fence directly on property line?) and if he disagrees with the survey, then he should have his own completed. However, it's always wise to place the fence a at least 12-18 inches off the property line unless this is a shared fence.

1. Sponsored Links