Default Chances of Getting Off Probation Early if Probation Officer Writes Letter to Judge

My question involves criminal law for the state of: New York

I'm on interim probation for a felony for possession of a controlled substance. I was sentenced to plead guilty to the felony and be put on interim probation for a year. If i completed that year i would then revoke my plea and plea guilty to a misdemeanor and be put on probation for another 2 years.

I'm about to finish my first year of probation and I have been clean as a whistle. My PO said he would write a letter to the judge recommending i get taken off probation.

What are the chances that I am actually taken off?

Default Re: Chances of Getting Off Probation Early if Probation Officer Writes Letter to Judg

What are the chances that I am actually taken off?
    These things don't operate on "chances", but rather the full facts of your circumstances.

It's 100% left to the discretion of the judge. We don't know him/her, so it's really irresponsible for anyone here to try to make any guesses for you.

Default Re: Chances of Getting Off Probation Early if Probation Officer Writes Letter to Judg

Well I know that it's not based on chances but does a judge usually take into consideration a letter from a probation officer?

Once again, it is 100% up to the judge. We can't tell you what the judge who is handling your case will or will not consider.

Unfortunately for your nerves, you're going to have to just wait it out.

Judges usually give considerable weight to the impressions and recommendations of probation officers. The rest, as you were told, depends upon the facts of the case and the practices of your judge - your mileage may vary.

1. Sponsored Links