Default Moving Out Against Parents' Wishes

My question involves criminal law for the state of: Massachusetts / Florida

A girl (18) in Florida wishes to leave home. Her parents have arranged for a round trip ticket to MA to visit. If she does not want to return home, I am prepared to allow her to move in with me.

Are any laws being broken? The round trip ticket is indeed to visit me (long distance relationship) but they have specifically said she is not allowed to stay with me.

Since she has reached the Age of Majority in both FL and MA, my understanding is that she has the right to choose where she stays and her parents do not have the right to force her to return home, or detain her at home. Is this accurate?

Basically I'm afraid they would be angry and come after me, and I would just like to make sure the law is on my side.

Thanks for any information.

Default Re: Moving Out Against Parents' Wishes

She is 18 and an adult. Unless she is legally incompetent and they have conservatorship over her for some reason, she can make her own decisions. They may not have to allow her access to any possessions in their home should she leave, but that's her business. If she is willing to start a new life with you absent the protections of family or anything more than she can pack into a suitcase, that is her choice.
    Retired Cal Cop Sergeant & Teacher

Seek justice,
    Love mercy,
    Walk humbly with your God

-- Courageous, by Casting Crowns ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkM-gDcmJeM

Default Re: Moving Out Against Parents' Wishes

Quote Quoting cdwjava
    View Post
    She is 18 and an adult. Unless she is legally incompetent and they have conservatorship over her for some reason, she can make her own decisions. They may not have to allow her access to any possessions in their home should she leave, but that's her business. If she is willing to start a new life with you absent the protections of family or anything more than she can pack into a suitcase, that is her choice.
    Thanks a lot for the fast response. This is exactly what I figured, it's just a little scary so I want to make sure.

Thanks again!

1. Sponsored Links