Default 16 and Wondering if I Have a Chance to Be Emancipated

My question involves emancipation laws for the State of: Pennsylvania

I was wondering if I have a chance/case.

I am 16 years old and will be 17 in december. I recently moved out of my moms house in the begining of last december in with my dad. I moved out cause my stepdad emotionally abused me. He would never give me compliments when I did something right, but he would deffinately notice when I did something wrong. I am now living with my dad and boyfriend. My dad is an alcoholic and yes I knew this before I moved in with him but never knew of it being this bad cause I lived with my mom ever since I was 8 or 9. My dad won't take me for doctors appointments, barely takes me to work, and I was having problems a few months ago and had to go the ER alot and he wouldnt even take me their. I would have to have my boyfriend take me or call my mom who lives 20mins away to come pick me up. I will be getting my license the begining of next month and just started a job to save money for a car. I am pretty independant and fend for myself all the time; I make supper almost everynight for everyone, I do everyone's laundry, go to school, and maintain a job. Plus I just had a sugery 2 months ago. My dad sits at home all day and drinks. He always puts me down, he has threatened to kick me out twice because this house wasnt staying clean...which Im sure he could do sometimes, and makes smart remarks about me that shouldnt be made. I have looked into emancipation for quite some time now and Im just not sure if I have a case and have the money. My mom told me that she would sign for me to be emancipated and would be on my side the whole time. She just doesnt know if she would have the money either. If I can get emancipated I would be moving in with my boyfriend's dad and my boyfriend. My mom already told me she would allow it.

Please let me know if I have a case/chance.

Thanks!

Default Re: 16 and Wondering if I Have a Case/Chance to Be Emancipated

Not a chance. Even if your county is one that provides for emancipation (in PA it's determined by county and not all counties allow it) there is not a judge on God's green earth that will emancipate a minor so that she can go live with her boyfriend and/or his family. The judge ain't stupid, you know.

Besides, emancipation does not mean going to live with someone else and having them pay part or all of your support. Emancipation means that YOU pay ALL of your own support. Rent, food, clothes, utilities, medical care, transportation, insurance, school fees and supplies; if you are emancipated YOU pay it all.

Default Re: 16 and Wondering if I Have a Case/Chance to Be Emancipated

PA does not have a State law allowing emancipation; much would depend on the county in which you reside.

To become emancipated you will need to already have a proven record of living by yourself and supporting yourself completely.
    An intelligent hell would be better than a stupid paradise - Victor Hugo

Do not microwave grapes

Default Re: 16 and Wondering if I Have a Chance to Be Emancipated

I am not going to live with my boyfriend and his family cause I want to it's cause they have been family friends for quite sometime now and its the best place for me to go to get away from the emotional abuse of my dad. I have a job and KNOW THAT I HAVE TO SUPPORT MYSELF! His dad already told me i would have to be responsible for that! and i WANT TO! I guess it is true you guys don't know anything. Plus my mom is willing to sign for me to do so. And she wants me away from my dad too but my stepdad won't let me move back in! I have no other place to go!

Um....alrighty.

Have fun with that.

You've pretty much just proven that you're nowhere near mature enough to be living alone.

You will not be emancipated - you best get used to that fact.
    An intelligent hell would be better than a stupid paradise - Victor Hugo

Do not microwave grapes

We don't know anything? We know enough to tell you what the law says about emancipation in your state.

Or does, you don't know anything, translate to, you're not telling me what I want to hear; therefore it must be wrong?

If your mother gives you permission to move out, you can do that without being emancipated. But you will NOT be emancipated based on what you've posted here.

1. Sponsored Links