Default Does Attorney Client Privilege Extend to Exclude Attorney's Spouse

My question involves malpractice by a lawyer in the state of: Any state you know the info for!

As in the title, I am wondering. I'm going to law school and I'm a paralegal in the meantime. If I'm a lawyer/paralegal, and I receive information that qualifies for attorney-client privilege, is it unethical for me to share details of cases with my wife, or would our marriage allow me to "unwind" by telling her about my day in great detail?

Any help you can provide would be lovely.

Default Re: Attorney Client Privilege -- Extends to Exclude Attorney's Spouse

You can talk about your work, but I would stick to isolated issues, points of law. Never reveal any client's name, not even to your wife. You could argue about spousal privilege but that is not relevant. Certainly sharing cool stuff about the law or how you'd win a case would be fine.

I am sure after a while the spouse will not be much interested if bombarded every day with countless details.

For instance, did you know that in a criminal trial in Florida if the defense introduces any physical evidence the defense gives up the rebuttal closing argument?
    (True)

Default Re: Attorney Client Privilege -- Extends to Exclude Attorney's Spouse

Unless your wife is also an attorney working with you on the same case, then no. Being married doesn't give you the right to violate your clients' privilege.

1. Sponsored Links